Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Low Quality Advice in this Forum

I have only been posting a little while in the Multi-table tournaments and I have to be honest and say that the quality of advice is pretty low in this section. The level of poker knowledge doesn't seem to be that great and individuals really do a poor analysis when it comes to discussing a hand.

Posters: Posters really only discuss AA, KK, QQ, and AK. Of course, these are the hands that are always played. But what about other situations in the tournament when you have more marginal hands. Anytime I post about a hand that is about a difficult decision I get almost no responses. Its the marginal situations that help win the tournament.

Responses: Most of the responses are ppl reacting entirely on impulse. "I shove here!" "I instamuck!", Cmon, the individual seeking advice might be in the later stages of a tournament and be wanting more of an analysis. Trying to understand the situation on a much deeper level. Not every analysis needs to be mathematical, but at least a discussion of the different factors.

I get no benefit when I post a hand, and I get a one liner response. I am trying to re-create the situation and want to try and get someone to respond who is putting themselves in my seat. A little more thought would really improve the response. You should think before you post.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Low Quality Advice in this Forum

While I feel for you and I agree, you won't get very many serious replies unfortunately.

As far as the poor advice and trendy 'humorous' answers given, simply put, most people posting here are a) not long-term winners or b) are long term winners, but simply don't have the time to respond to strategy posts.

Poker players are not a friendly lot. There are a few who will help out and give good strat advice, but sadly, they either move on or get tired of reading a lot of really bad posts in this forum.

Experience = the #1 tutor, it doesn't ever quit on you.

Good luck,
fox
Old 09-11-2006, 12:45 AM

its because most of the hands posted are with like 30xBB or less, and are pretty simple
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 AM

I think a lot of the really good posters just hang out in the MTT Community Forum now. Plus, if I was playing $100+ buy-in tournaments I wouldn't want to respond to posts about repetetive hands in $1 tournaments.

Yes, experience is the best teacher, but going with that, you need to review your own hands in depth. I think too many people look at a hand and throw it on here without re-thinking the hand through.

I've gotten better at responding to posts because I've looked at my own hands and have tried to apply some of the adivce I've learned here.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Posters: Posters really only discuss AA, KK, QQ, and AK. Of course, these are the hands that are always played. But what about other situations in the tournament when you have more marginal hands. Anytime I post about a hand that is about a difficult decision I get almost no responses. Its the marginal situations that help win the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got nothing to say about this except that it's totally not true.

[ QUOTE ]

Responses: Most of the responses are ppl reacting entirely on impulse. "I shove here!" "I instamuck!", Cmon, the individual seeking advice might be in the later stages of a tournament and be wanting more of an analysis. Trying to understand the situation on a much deeper level. Not every analysis needs to be mathematical, but at least a discussion of the different factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are 3 reasons for this:

1) When you're playing poker, that's what you do. You see a situation, so you check/bet or fold/call/raise. Poker players are used to that, so they give lots of advice like that. Note that there's really a lot of information encoded in this. For example, Justin posted a week ago or whatever in which he had like 18 BBs or so, opened with A9o in the SB and the 2+2er in the BB pushed. Everyone replied "call", by which they meant "A9o has at least 40% equity (or whatever it is) against this guy's range here, so calling is best."

2) Lots of people on these forums have no idea why a certain play is better than another play and so they don't justify their reasons. This kinda sucks, so if you're trying to learn you need to figure out who these people are and kinda just ignore them.

3) The posters/players who know what they're doing don't like to talk about standard situations because they're boring to them. So, they'll drop into a thread and say "call" because they're pretty used to seeing that spot and hitting the call button. Again, there's a lot of information encoded in these little messages--when a poster that you respect says that calling is correct, work backwards and figure out why calling would be correct in that spot.

TBH, I basically figured out how to play poker (to the extent that I have figured it out), from a few very short (probably annoyed) replies to OPs.

Oh, and if you're not sure about a spot that you think is probably boring for good players, ask what to do with ranges of hands and not a specific hand. That makes things much more interesting.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 AM

Post an interesting hand and you'll get some debate.

You posted like 2 hands in 2 months and both involved a decision on whether or not to call a push in front of you (or two). How deep do you expect the analysis to run?...

Read some of the Foucaults' threads - there's a lot more discussion (and analysis) there.

Every now and then you'll find a JEM of a response, the rest of the time it's all the "WHAT" to do and not the "WHY". Such is the nature of the beast.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 AM

I actually completely agree with OP.

Almost every interesting hand I've posted on here gets a couple one-liners with no coherent thinking, before getting dropped off.

Reading through posts and the replys, the advice is worse than any other forum I've read on 2+2. A handful of posters offer good advice, and a whole lot more offer nothing if not bad advice.

Interesting hands the well known players post get a lot of responses and interesting perspectives are shared inbetween the useless replys.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have only been posting a little while in the Multi-table tournaments and I have to be honest and say that the quality of advice is pretty low in this section. The level of poker knowledge doesn't seem to be that great and individuals really do a poor analysis when it comes to discussing a hand.

I get no benefit when I post a hand, and I get a one liner response. I am trying to re-create the situation and want to try and get someone to respond who is putting themselves in my seat. A little more thought would really improve the response. You should think before you post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen
Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 AM

The reason well-known players get many responses in their threads is because they post good threads that have the ability to lead to discussion.

Bad threads lead to bad posts, and it's as simple as that.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:38 AM

its all true, thats why I almost always post only in STT, where all the advice is basically amazing.