Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 03:16 PM

Default 66 in BB against UTG raise

WPEX 3/6 10 handed. UTG is an aggressive -- sometimes overly aggressive -- but reasonable player.

Preflop: UTG raises, folded around to mjkidd in the BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], who calls.

Flop: (4.3 sb): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
mjkidd bets, UTG raises, mjkidd calls.

Turn: (4.1 BB): 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
mjkidd...

I think he's the kind of guy who will autoraise anytime it's heads up, he was the preflop aggressor, and someone bets into him. What do you think of my flop donk, given that I have no fold equity? What should my turn play be?

Also, this is a standard preflop call for me. Should it be?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: 66 in BB against UTG raise

As played check fold. I think a flopcheck raise, turn donk would be better in order to gain control of the hand in case you're good or get a better idea as to where you stand. If you check raise the flop an get re-raised you are probably behind. If your check raise gets called and your turn donk raised you are probably behind.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played check fold. I think a flopcheck raise, turn donk would be better in order to gain control of the hand in case you're good or get a better idea as to where you stand. If you check raise the flop an get re-raised you are probably behind. If your check raise gets called and your turn donk raised you are probably behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-10-2006, 11:57 PM

This is one of those hands that's going to be very difficult to play, both because of the opponent and the board. It's very possible that an aggressive opponent is going to put you on a flush draw (whether you bet/call or check/raise & call the flop), and play it hard with or without a better hand than your 66 because of it. And, of course, it's very possible that he's holding a better hand than yours & won't fold a hand like JJ-77 for the same reason.

Given that you bet/called the flop, I think it's time to define your hand by leading the turn as well. It helps that you did improve on the turn, too, moving up to 6 outs vs. everything but QQ (4 outs) or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 outs). So I do like leading the turn to avoid giving a free card to ace high and/or a flush draw, and for the admittely miniscule chance that he folds JJ-77. The problem with that plan being that you have to call if he raises again, now getting better than 7:1 with about 6 outs & probably getting paid off on the river if you hit one of them.

Really, against an aggressive opponent you aren't going to win or lose this pot cheaply, which sways me in the direction of just folding it preflop...against this opponent. Against a more predictable opponent, of course I'm going to defend with a pocket pair.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:34 AM

I think 66 in the BB is a standard call, unless you can narrow down villain's range here. At worst check and call just to gain info and make a note of it along with any other play that he makes from UTG whether or not you are in the hand.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 AM

can somebody find the thread where CMI outlines the math behind calling 22 in the bb to a UTG raise even if you know UTG has AA everytime?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 AM

Just a question in regards to position. Would a check raise in this situation be good regardless of what the BB holds, and by that I mean if we have TPTK, overpair, flush draw, set, do we really want to check raise out of position?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can somebody find the thread where CMI outlines the math behind calling 22 in the bb to a UTG raise even if you know UTG has AA everytime?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interstingly, AA is the best case scenario, because the implied odds are better. It's worse calling with 22 if the UTG raiser has JJ than AA because you're not getting much out of JJ if the flop comes K72.

But this is me trying to hijack my own thread...