Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: I flopped the second nuts; WTF is going on here?

I like AI on turn. If he has you beat, so be it. You guys aren't deep enough for it to really matter.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

River bet gives it away I think. I think villian figured you for a flush draw and bet that tiny river bet to get a few more pennies out of his made flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he figure you for a flush draw if he has the A?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who says he has the A? Villian could have made a tiny flush on the flop.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:11 PM

full pot the flop, push the turn.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RESULTS ORIENTATED

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? Okay- on second thought; I reraise to an amount that the set calls to draw to the boat, and pot commits villain to call all-in on the river anyway. Or I push, they'll call! The set will call for the boat draw- the flush will cry and call with the desperate hope they are good.

Clearly, the OP has the best shot at getting the most money in the pot on the turn- so...reraise.

I may be folding out two pair, or a pair, but both of those hands are either going to donk off their chips, or they've already decided to fold to any bet. By not re-raising here there is a strong likelihood that I am letting a set or smaller flush (villains most likely hands IMO) get off cheaper than necessary.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity, how would you play this hand if you had 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] instead?

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO-

blech...Im still on cloud nine on the flop and bet pot.

I still lead the turn the same as you did, and cry when the "real" flush raises and call while cursing at my computer screen.

Unfortunately, there are sets and lone Ah that play this way as well, so I have stopped jamming my baby flush, and just want to try to get to showdown for as cheap as possible.

I cry again to call $1.50 on the river. 5hi flush isnt beating anyone here- except the draws.

I dont know about the above feedback though. Maybe it is better to just fold on the turn- Im a babyflush donk myself. Khi is solid though- you have a much larger range of hands that opponent could have here and you are beating.

As to players min-raising their "nuts" at 50NL, they also think 8h9h is the nutz here half the time! Also- they minraise for all sorts of goofy reasons.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what stopped me from pushing the turn was the mini-raise. Players mini-raise their nuts at this level like clockwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats why it can be a nice move against thinking players. dont overestimate minraises of a thinking player vs a thinking player. you got 2nd nuts
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM

I'm definetly pushing the turn here, if he has the A high flush so be it. I think many villians will go to the felt with just about any flush on this board at 50NL.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:58 AM

His river play is really odd. Unless your image was really aggressive, I don't understand his small bet on the end followed by a reraise. Can't lay it down as played though.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like AI on turn. If he has you beat, so be it. You guys aren't deep enough for it to really matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether it "matters" or not is in proportion to a players own bankroll and general financial postion. If you are lucky enough to to be in a position where this doesn't matter to you then great, but don't dismiss another persons game simply because you deem it below your own.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Villain's line smells like a small flush or a set. In both cases, he's worried until the river, then confident. In the case of the small flush, he's worried that the fourth heart lets you suck out on him; when it doesn't fall, he assumes his flush is good and pushes. In the second case, he's also worried that the fourth heart kills his hand, but he could also be waiting for the board to pair to give him a lock. In the end, he decides you don't have it, so he pushes.

As to your line, I'd probably bet a tiny bit more on the flop -- say, $1.50 or even $2 -- because this is a pot you want to build, and anybody who calls a $1.25 bet here is calling $1.50. (Alternatively, anybody with a real hand is calling $2 with ease, and that lets you know you can soak them for even more on the turn and river.)

The turn push is quite an overbet, and a smart villain won't bite with a set. They might even fold a small flush. I'd probably make a three-bet less than all-in: maybe raise to $21. That's about a half-pot raise, and if called it leaves another $27 behind for an easy crying call on the river push with a set or better. Yes, this gives sets proper odds to chase, but against a range that includes sets AND underflushes, you balance giving chasing odds to the sets against destroying the underflushes that have no chance to win. It's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to make.

As played, the river is an easy raise and then an instacall -- you fare well against villain's pushing range on the river. I think he just tricky-trappied himself into getting stacked with an underflush.