Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM

Default I\'m on tilt!!! what to do now?

hi guys.

i'm tilting so hard. i play 0.5/1 on Stars and i overplay sooo many midpairs. i don't know why, but whenever i did it, i know i played sooo bad. i also go with continuationbets to the river and my opponents call down with a weak pair or overcars better then mine... what can i do against it? i thought about cash out the money and uninstall all pokerprograms, clean my reallife problems and do a lot of theory. maybe i played too much in the last few weeks and now i need a big break... i beated the 0.5$/1$ 6 month ago, but then i had to take a break. i restarted playing poker at 0.25/0.5 to win some money and learn again how to play. after 1400 hands i made 150$ then i started readin SSH and play on 0.5/1 and now i've got a down from 24$. if i would play my best game i can, i'm pretty sure that i could be 30$ or more up, but because of any reason i'm not able to play my A game...

i hope you have some tips for me and can help me... thank you!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:28 AM

Default Re: I\'m on tilt!!! what to do now?

play tighter. seriously, It helps you get off tilt.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:56 AM

i follow the advise of mike caro when i feel the tilt coming
and start thinking about the amount of hours ill nedd to play
to get the tilting money back that my tilt goes away
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 AM

Take five bucks and LAG the hell out of 0.02/0.04. Play every hand if you want to; I tend to play about 65%. The important thing is to raise any time it could possibly be less than horrible.

You'll blow off steam, lay some ugly bad beats on people, and maybe learn a little about the game while you're doing it. It's a good, and cheap, way to turn your attitude around.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:34 AM

So my response after reading the topic title is: Stop. Its that simple. If you need to take a day, a week, or a month off do that. Read poker books, this forum, or whatever for your poker fix, but don't keep playing bad poker.

[ QUOTE ]
i overplay sooo many midpairs. i don't know why, but whenever i did it, i know i played sooo bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold them more preflop unless there's a lot of players. Or play to hit a set/overpair or else fold. Sure you'll be giving up some +EV situations, but overall it sounds like you'll be better off at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]

i also go with continuationbets to the river and my opponents call down with a weak pair or overcars better then mine... what can i do against it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have this problem. One thing I've found thats been helping is to really pay attention to the table to see those people that call down with anything. Its one of the most common notes I make about a person (calling station - value bet). If I have something (sometimes a good A high) against this person I'll bet into them right to showdown. If I have nothing I check/fold to these people because they're not goign to be bluffed. I've also stopped doing continuation bets into 3+ players unless the flop is somewhat nice for me or the table conditions are favorable.

[ QUOTE ]

i thought about cash out the money and uninstall all pokerprograms, clean my reallife problems and do a lot of theory. maybe i played too much in the last few weeks and now i need a big break... i beated the 0.5$/1$ 6 month ago, but then i had to take a break. i restarted playing poker at 0.25/0.5 to win some money and learn again how to play. after 1400 hands i made 150$ then i started readin SSH and play on 0.5/1 and now i've got a down from 24$. if i would play my best game i can, i'm pretty sure that i could be 30$ or more up, but because of any reason i'm not able to play my A game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd follow the advice of a lot of the people on twoplustwo that have been very successful. Read/Study/Post for an hour for every hour you actually play. I may be messing that ratio up, but the idea is reduce your playing and spend enough time studying.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:43 AM

Feeling like tilting? Take a break, play some video games, smoke some dope, just don't play when your on tilt. Sounds easy but it's hard to do.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Take five bucks and LAG the hell out of 0.02/0.04. Play every hand if you want to; I tend to play about 65%. The important thing is to raise any time it could possibly be less than horrible.

You'll blow off steam, lay some ugly bad beats on people, and maybe learn a little about the game while you're doing it. It's a good, and cheap, way to turn your attitude around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this on absolute. Best tilt medicine evar.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:35 PM

I posted this on another thread, but I'm going to post it here, too:

The best way to avoid tilt, I have found, is to read the "Zen of Poker," and also to eat vegetarian meals before you play. Sugar, soda, should all be avoided. Concentrate on fruit, vegetables, and starch and good vegetable fats. Things like eggs and oily fish in smaller amounts are excellent for the brain and memory. Steak, pork, and chicken just make you more aggressive and you get angry when things dont go your way. I believe your brain consumes alot of "sugar" when you play poker, because you are concentrating extremely hard, and things like cookies and donuts are the worst for a steady supply of brain fuel. I believe this is why sushi is so popular among poker players. It is high in omega fish oil, low in saturated fat, devoid of sugar and white flour, and high in complex carbohydrate (rice). When playing poker, choose whole grain pasta, lentils, beans, rice, avoid sugar, caffeine, and meat altogether when you play cards.

The next time you go to play poker, stop at an Indian restaurant and order Masala Dosa, go play poker, and observe your state of mind. PM me and let me know how this worked out for you because I care about the advice I give.

Ed Miller- eats vegetarian
Howard Lederer- studies zen, eats vegetarian
Daniel Negreanu- eats vegetarian
Chris Ferguson- eats vegetarian
Phil Hellmuth- studies zen, meditates, doesnt eat vegetarian

Hmmmmmm.

-J
Old 09-14-2006, 03:01 PM

If you have outside life issues that you're bringing to the table, you're going to need to deal with them.

The donking around at the penny tables is a great idea...I do that frequently myself.

On a session by session basis, when I find I am playing poorly, I will occasionally adopt a "no call" strategy. Simply don't call any bets unless you're getting the pot odds or you're limping with pocket pairs. If you don't feel you can reraise then fold. You're giving up some value no doubt but it helps keep you out of murky situations. It's a way to counter reverse implied odds. When you're playing poorly your chances of getting stacked increase dramatically and your reads/judgement are off so if you avoid judgement/read situations you're going to be better off.

On a hand to hand basis, verbalize your read and your reason for betting or raising. If you listen to yourself and you sound like an idiot then perhaps you should reconsider that particular decision.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Justin, any external links that show the connections you state?

Just looking for more information.

Cheers,
Pogo