Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Memory Training (book recommendations please)

Hi, as part of my self-discipline program, I want to improve my memory. I think I had a naturally good memory at some point, but I never practiced it so it faded over the years. My recall is terrible.

The book I was looking at is The Memory Book by Harry Lorayne.

I'm interested in books that are more of how-to guides for improving memory, not so much theoretical books about the science of memory.

I'm sure I'm not the first 2+2er to look into it, so can you guys give me some quick recommendations? Thanks.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Memory Training (book recommendations please)

I have read several books on memonics including a couple of Loraynes. My personal favorite is "How to pass exams" by Dominic O'Brien. It's actually not about passing exams as much as general memory strategy.

Most of these guys have the same ideas, but slightly different layout. Your ability to remember things will go trough the roof if you practise it. I have used it mainly with names and numbers. It takes time to learn the system, but its well worth the time.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:37 AM

Hev you thought about the Nintendo DS + "Brain Training". Thsi software is designed specifically to improve memory and other aspects of the mind, through 10 minutes daily use.

Ian
Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 AM

"Use Your head" by Tony Buzan is very good.
He an ex world memory champ (they remember 6 decks of cards etc)
Old 09-09-2006, 11:09 AM

I liked "Intelligent Memory." Read that with "The Memory Book" and you should be set.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hev you thought about the Nintendo DS + "Brain Training". Thsi software is designed specifically to improve memory and other aspects of the mind, through 10 minutes daily use.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have this and does it actually work? I need an excuse to buy another video game machine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's called Brain Age, right?
Old 09-09-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have this and does it actually work? I need an excuse to buy another video game machine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick search shows that there is a program called Brain Workout available for PC, not the exact same product, but it looks like it might be worth a shot.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:19 PM

Mega Memory by Kevin Trudeau teaches you a pretty good system for improving your memory. The guy may be a quack but the system works.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a DS with this and a few other games- to be homest, it was a mega-impulse purchase. I already have a PSP which I use daily.

The guit set in / novelty wore off- after a couple of days, so I returned it all for a refund. However I was VERY impressed with what I saw of "Brain Academy". To the extent that I "may" by a DS again in the future, just for that title.

Ian
Old 09-15-2006, 02:03 PM

"The Memory Book" is the best. Lorayne and Lucas are teo sides of the memory coin. Lucas was a real college athlete who excelled at academics, Lorayne a magician and the combination of their approaches does wonders.

As a personal suggestion, try doing a daily crossword. Its liek brain floss, it really keeps you sharp