Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: BBQ Pork - dry rub or sauce? Recipes Please.

I really like Penzey's Galena Street Rub whenever I make ribs.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:55 PM

Baby back ribs......dry rub with liberal amount of hickory salt and black pepper; cook in oven baking bag for 2.5 hours at 225 degrees. Finish on grill (30 mins) over medium coals turning every few minutes. Slather with favorite bbq sauce last few minutes and serve hot. Will be very tender. Don't forget to peel membrane off of fat side of ribs before cooking. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Another good way to BBQ ribs, and is super-simple is to mix 50/50 soy and freshly squeezed lemon juice, and let it marinate for about 2-3 hours. Grill. Best ribs I have ever had, hands down.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM

I think you can use a dry rub with a sauce.

The dry rub is added before cooking and I think sauces work best when adding during the latter portion of the cooking phase as sugar burns.

Now if you mean dry rub or marinade, then you can also still do both. Marinate first, then apply a dry rub.

Then you can do all three.

I prefer to brine the pork ribs, then apply a dry rub, sometimes lightly adding a sauce during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 PM

Forgot about this thread.

I opted for pork chops and a homebrew cayanne/chili-powder/salt/white pepper/brown sugar rub. Cooked them on a rack over apple wood coals. They were tasty but got a tad dried out because my fire was too hot.

Dill-infused summer squash and fresh steamed broccoli added some color to the plate, and a local blueberry lambic topped off the meal. Not bad for a quick weeknight meal, though.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:19 AM

Assuming that one of you will be doing a butt or shoulder the right way soon, the best thing to do to it is to slather it in plain yellow mustard.

The taste, color, etc. of the mustard completely smoke away. You're left with a spectacular light brown bark that covers the whole shoulder/butt.

In my experience any sort of rub is lost on a properly smoked shoulder/butt and sauce is not recommended except for serving.

If any of you are in the habit of regularly making pulled pork, I promise that you'll love this suggestion.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that one of you will be doing a butt or shoulder the right way soon, the best thing to do to it is to slather it in plain yellow mustard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, bark forms much better, partially due to the better hold on a dry rub (see below).

[ QUOTE ]

In my experience any sort of rub is lost on a properly smoked shoulder/butt

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa there, rub is essential for flavoring the bark. It does jack for the inner meat of course but that is not the point. To finish, I sprinkle a little rub over what's pulled and provide a vinegar sauce to add at the eater's discretion.

J
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I sprinkle a little rub over what's pulled and provide a vinegar sauce to add at the eater's discretion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally don't do this but wouldn't object if you like it that way. We're on the same page with the vinegar sauce.