Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: PPA Pres, here\'s some advice

[ QUOTE ]
I think you guys overestimate the amount of money that a PAC like this could generate (legally) - Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought about it and looked into it for a while and just didn't see it as a viable possiblitly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you could get a lot of people here to pony up $200 and some of the big shots would be willing to max out at 5k, especially if one or two 2+2ers get actively involved with the PPA (hint hint PPA, im sure there are people are this board that would intern or volunteer for your cause if there were a bit more transparency and more frequent communications). With a solicitiable class of over 100k (am i making that up or did I read that somewhere?), you could easily raise some serious funds. Plus, you have the added advantage that a good chunk of poker players are internet savvy and have email accounts so there would be no need to do costly snail mail fundraising.

I don't think you need a whole heck of a lot of money for the PAC to do some good. It's not like this would be a huge professional PAC that bascially gives in every race. It would be easy to pick and choose where the money should go. Go after committee leaders and the champions of our cause. Additionally, corporate money could be used effectively for partisan communications and educational type programs... some Bally's type ad buys could draw some attention to the need to seperate poker from other types of gaming. Using PCs would be an to engage association members who say the PPA is not doing anything.

Maybe im overly optimiztic, but I think the PAC could be done and it would do some good. PAC money would defintely compliment lobbying efforts and open the ears of some politicians.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:52 AM

IMHO: The on-line poker sites are "raking" in over $100k a day.
If they're not willing to step-up financially - I'm sure as he11 not.
The ball is already in motion, and it's going to be the banks who decide how this is going to play out. If the banking lobbyist's say no it won't pass - if they say yes it will.
The PPA has about as much influence and credibility as the Professional Pool Hustlers Association.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:07 PM

#1 Super idea that will fix all these issues

See if you can have "Jesus" get ahold of God and have him explain to Bush and his ilk, that unlike other forms of gambling that poker is skill based. That will solve all this as the message filters through the churches after Bush
announces his discussion
Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 AM

1. The Bill that was passed in the House 317-93 would prohibit poker players from wagering by using Credit Cards, ACH payments to such providers as Firepay and Netteller, or debit transations (electronic checks) to outside payment processors. Further, by notice of law enforcement (from county agencies to the DOY), ISPs would be required to remove hyperlinks to internet gambling sites (poker sites). These are the two methods that the enforcement would fall under.
2. We are an organization that directly lobbys for poker players rights on the federal and state level. The majority of our efforts are focused on the Federal Internet Gambling Prohibition HR 4411. We have the best professional lobbbying team working on Poker Players behalf. Additionally, I personally state our case with lawmakers. We have no large backoffice, so this money, as a 501C4 goes directly to arguing our case at the federal level.
3.I will not come on here if you do not believe that we are not effective. That is fine. Thank you for your forum. The fact is that we are very aggressive. I am not prepared to give an "inside baseball" perspective to your readers, and we will continue playing "inside baseball" and "outside baseball" as appropriate. If this is an issue, so be it, as it would impact the very valuable efforts that we are doing for poker players in general. Sorry to be so short on this issue, and either we are successful in our efforts, or we are not. I want to thank our members that have joined our efforts, as you are certainly standing up to be counted. The 100,000+ that have joined is certainly appreciated, and I hope that we are providing value for you with your membership. I will not give out a P&L, but we are a very small organization, and if you want to visit us, please feel free. We are happy to meet with all members.
4. I understand about your guidelines, and understand that I sometimes skirt those. This is not a commercial effort. We hope to simply break even and have the greatest impact on the federal level for poker players. One of the ways that we can accomplish this is, is for poker players to be counted as a unified organization of members that can be are politically active, and unfortunately this sometimes means soliciting members for our cause. I certainly will be respectful of your guidelines, but as a member of a group of passionate poker players with an agenda to separate poker from this legislative effort to ban all internet gaming, I think it is less than productive. If this is wrong, well I do not knowo what to say.
Michael
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have the best professional lobbbying team working on Poker Players behalf.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the interest of adding a touch of transperancy, and to help substantiate your claim, i've done a little research on the PPA's lobbying activities.

Statement of Lobbying Registration

PPA's 2005 Year-end Lobbying Report

Lobbying firm used by the PPA

Other clients of the lobbying firm used by the PPA

Individuals who may be lobbying on behalf of the PPA:

Chris Giblin

John Green

Stewart Hall

Chris Lamond
Old 09-09-2006, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We have the best professional lobbbying team working on Poker Players behalf.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the interest of adding a touch of transperancy, and to help substantiate your claim, i've done a little research on the PPA's lobbying activities.

Statement of Lobbying Registration

PPA's 2005 Year-end Lobbying Report

Lobbying firm used by the PPA

Other clients of the lobbying firm used by the PPA

Individuals who may be lobbying on behalf of the PPA:

Chris Giblin

John Green

Stewart Hall

Chris Lamond

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the informaton Cubswin, although I am a bit at a loss as to why the PPA President would not have done something similar instead of essentially saying 'trust me we are working hard for you'. Such transparency seems to a layman such as myself to be more conducive to fundraising and signing up members. I myself play poker for a living however have not been willing to fork over $20 because I had no idea what they were doing and the president says merely 'trust me'. If however it can be demonstrated that it is at least trying to be an organization that is using funds mostly for the benefit of its members, than I and I imagine many others would be happy to spend a small sum on a monthly basis, as was mentioned previously.