Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 PM

Default What Do You Do About A Bad Seat at a Home Game?

So, I'm going to a home game tonight that is hosted by a guy I used to play regularly with live. He is a total LAG, bordering on maniacal. Back when I played with him, I had absolutely no concept of position, but I now do, and I know that he and several other maniacs will be at this game. My question to you guys is, how do you deal with a bad seat at a home game?

This game will be a "home" game, but it will also be quite large, with some guys sitting around waiting to buy in at times. Do you think it impolite or improper to request to sit at a different seat if you end up in a bad one, to the right of some crazy maniac? I know that there are a few plays you can put on these guys to punish their lag ways, and I'm already formulating different plays to employ tonight, but in general, as you guys know, having a good LAG to your left just sucks badly. Any input on what you guys would do or how you'd handle it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: What Do You Do About A Bad Seat at a Home Game?

Sit in your seat for a while then when one opens up ask everyone at the table if they mind if you move. Tell them that your seat is unlucky or that you want a better view of the TV, want to be closer to the fridge, etc. Anyone puts up a beef just let it go. Sounds like it's not going to matter much where you sit.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like it's not going to matter much where you sit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to the few LAGs that will be around? If so, I kind of agree. I'm debating as to whether or not I'll even go.

This is a game that moved from a regular game at a bar to a home game. When I first started playing at this bar, I was a pretty bad player, but I still managed to turn a small profit (which just shows how bad the other players were). The game was .5/1 NLHE, with a min buy in of $20 and the max anyone bought in for was $40 (I know, pretty strange). I have improved in my game, in my opinion, by quite a lot (but I still don't consider myself good, always room to improve and constantly trying to learn), but they have upped the stakes to 1/2, with a min BI of $50.

I play .25/.5 online with a 30+ BI bankroll, so buying in for ~$100 just to feel out the game is not that big a deal to me, but I'm just not sure I'm comfortable playing those stakes.

Anyways, this is kind of a mindless rant, not really looking for anyone to respond to this, just needed to sound it out there and write out my thoughts, I guess. If anyone does, however, want to comment, I'd welcome it.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to the few LAGs that will be around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Sounds like these guys are there to have fun. Do everything you can to help them enjoy themselves. Don't let on that you take the game seriously at all. Just be one of the guys, play your A game, but don't let them know that.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I play .25/.5 online with a 30+ BI bankroll, so buying in for ~$100 just to feel out the game is not that big a deal to me, but I'm just not sure I'm comfortable playing those stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play in a game where the stakes are making you uncomfortable. You won't be playing your best game if you're worried about the money on the table.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:45 AM

Aside from the stakes making you nervous, there really isn't a bad seat there. While it is better having them to your right, having them on your left isn't the end of the world, just have to adjust your play to abuse them.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you referring to the few LAGs that will be around? If so, I kind of agree. I'm debating as to whether or not I'll even go.

This is a game that moved from a regular game at a bar to a home game. When I first started playing at this bar, I was a pretty bad player, but I still managed to turn a small profit (which just shows how bad the other players were).

[/ QUOTE ]
PLAY. play tight and isolate lagtards.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:14 PM

All really good advice, thanks guys. I ended up playing and, as my luck would have it, had the most aggressive guy one seat to my left, and a guy with a 6 BI stack after 1 hour of play to my immediate left, lol. I still managed to make $200 off a $100 BI (that was the standard BI) in 2.5 hours, so it was a good experience for the most part.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:57 PM

Just start grumbling about your cards, and then say, man I hate the cards I'm getting here, I want to move when a seat opens up...

Then if its not the one you want, just go, naaah, I guess I'm ok here, or "No way, not that effin seat...I'll take the next one..." or whatever.