Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: I set a new record at my B&M (Wrong Forum?)

Going bust in a limit game is not a fundamental error for a recreational player. A recreational player says, "I have $X or X hours to play tonight and I will play until I run out of money or time."

That is just how it is for a recreational player.

If a professional player operated in this manner, it would be a terrible mistake.

If I was a professional player:
1. No way I show up with only 25 big bets.
2. No way I leave a game with that much action

I am a recreational player, if I lose too much money on Friday, I can't justify going to play O/8 on Tuesday.

If I run good on Friday, I buy the MRS a really good dinner or a small present so Poker stays in good graces with the MRS.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 PM

"You suck at recreational poker."

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

"Your sample size is too small"

Tonight's results have absolutely no bearing on anything. the same guy that called a raise out of the small blind with 64o and stayed to make runner quads today will be there next Friday. He was there last Friday and the Friday before. He plays every hand and some Fridays he outdraws me on every hand and other Fridays he pays me off. I like my odds over the long term.

When I enter tonight's results in Statking I will still have less than 500 hours of live poker this year so my sample size is too small also.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

Word
Old 09-08-2006, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going bust in a limit game is not a fundamental error for a recreational player. A recreational player says, "I have $X or X hours to play tonight and I will play until I run out of money or time."

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't mean to sound snarky, but a good recreational player should only run out of time, patience, interest, motivation, etc...but never money.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:46 PM

So, how was the seafood buffet?
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That is just how it is for a recreational player.

If a professional player operated in this manner, it would be a terrible mistake.

If I was a professional player:
1. No way I show up with only 25 big bets.
2. No way I leave a game with that much action

I am a recreational player, if I lose too much money on Friday, I can't justify going to play O/8 on Tuesday.

If I run good on Friday, I buy the MRS a really good dinner or a small present so Poker stays in good graces with the MRS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop thinking like a recreational player, recreational players who think that way are long term losers, start thinking like us - while continuing your recreational status. Please stop spending your poker winnings on gifts for your wife, your don't ask her to give it all back when you lose do you? Please start keeping a bankroll. Please start showing up with more than 25 bets. Please stay in the game as long as it is good even if you touch the felt. Please realize that 3 hours of play is a slow day for some of us if it takes that long to go bust in the session (my record was 15 or so hands, beat that!). If your going bust that fast while playing smart, aggressive, edge pushing poker then that means the game must be absolutely amazing!

PS: You said so yourself earlier, I haven't steered you wrong yet... trust me on this one. Your #1 problem is mindset at this stage of your progression, start working on it!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread sucks

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2006, 04:36 PM

nice post TT.

Using one's status as a 'recreational' player to justify one's negative EV aspects in their game just isn't a good idea.

Steam - it really wouldn't be that bad to leave after dropping 25BB's if that's what you wanted to do.
But you really should have 40 or more BB's on you even if you were to do this.

Sitting at the table with your last 3-5 BB's really hurts yourself.

So have $1k in your wallet, leave after you drop $500 or so if that makes you more comfortable, and keep 10 or more BB's on the table at all times. Really should be more than 10BB's of course, especially with unlimited raises when you make a monster.
But even just 10BB's would be a lot better than sitting there with 5 or fewer.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please stop spending your poker winnings on gifts for your wife, your don't ask her to give it all back when you lose do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to everything TT says except the above quote. He is single and …well he is single. (He doesn’t understand the what’s yours is ours, what’s mine is mine rule that one doesn’t learn until after one marries.) Other than that, I would trust his judgment. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]