Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: India - Upcoming Business Trip

Roll with it, man. I was in Bangalore last year, and had a ball. India is a really cool, cool place. The people there will be really nice to you, just keep an open mind, get your shots before you go, and stick to bottled water. Really. Stick to bottled water.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 PM

Stop worrying about your security there and start worrying about all of the things that you are going to want to do while you are there. As far as being white and standing out in Mumbai, there are thousands of Brits living/working/visiting there all the time, and I seriously doubt you are any "whiter" than them. I mean, seriously, use some common sense and you should be fine.

And here is your security briefing:

Read up some on local customs. Don't carry tons of cash on you. Hide your cash and cards in different pockets. Don't drink the water. Travel with a buddy. If you hit it, wrap it. Avoid confrontations. Don't walk through the slums at night.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 AM

All of the above is sound advice.

Also:

1. Make sure that when you order bottled water, you get a bottle of water with the seal still intact. If I remember right, Bisleri was the best and safest brand to get. Or was it the worst? Lol...I can't remember. Ask around.

2. Don't take the trains in Mumbai. Them things are brutally overcrowded. They are so crowded that guys sit and fall off the rooftops on a daily basis. I have even seen a guy hanging out the door only to kiss a telephone pole as the train went around a bend. Not a pretty sight.

3. On that point, don't even take the auto rickshaws. They are a fun ride but not very safe. Grab an air conditioned taxi. You could probably rent one with a driver on a daily or weekly basis for peanuts.

4. You will not have any problems per se being white. There are lots of white people in places such as Bangalore and Mumbai. But as a white feller, you will be hounded by beggars. If you give some change to one of them, about a hundred others will follow. Do what most of the locals do and just ignore them. Don't get me wrong: It's not like I have no sympathy for the poverty stricken over there but you will be hounded mercilessly if you give something to anyone and are seen doing it.

5. Like every big city, Mumbai has its dangerous areas. But most of the city is safe from a violent crime perspective even well into the night. But there are pickpockets everywhere and all day. If you keep your wallet in your back pocket, it wont be there long.

5. If you go to an area called Bandra, say hi to my uncle ...heh
Old 09-09-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On that point, don't even take the auto rickshaws.

[/ QUOTE ]

pussy
Old 09-09-2006, 04:16 PM

Here are some travel tips.
1) ALWAYS drink from bottled water/canned soda. Never ever drink anything else.
2) If you wish to dine outside the norm (hotel/guests), always stick to pricier high class restaurants. You WILL miss out on a lot of delicacy that is available on general restaurants that Indians enjoy, but for now lets stick to you not being sick from travelling there.

Even Indians who grew up there and then come to US lower their immunity to germs and then when they go back, fall sick on drinking their water/food in regular restaurants. Hence the caution.

3) There are PLENTY of places to see in Mumbai. But take a local resident with you to see those places. * The price of everything goes up when shop keepers see a lone white tourist without a local resident accompanying *

4) Dont travel in auto rickshaw or train. Maybe once to say you done it, but other than that you wont like it. Get a rental taxi for your whole trip and it will be very cheap if converted to $$ terms.

5) learn some local sentences.
Hi/Welcome - "Namaste" - when you say it, hold your palms together in front of your chest. you will see it.
How are you - "Ap Kaise Hain"

6) India is much different than arab countries. Foreigners are welcome there and not hunted down [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Have fun. Keep an open mind, and you just might like it so much that you want to visit it again.