Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 05:32 PM

Default 600$NL 6max, AKo Rate my bluff

Villain is JERRRY (at PokerStars). He is a very solid multitabler and sat at 12 tables when we played this hand. I only sat at 4 tables this session and he sat at all of them. His stats were something like 26/22.

In the beginning of the session he immediately started reraising me alot. This didnt bother me much because I knew what he was doing and why (exploiting that I was new at the table and maybe inexperienced in 3betting situations). When this hand happenend I had not begun fighting him back for real yet so I think my image was decent. I have not played with him before so he doesnt know what kind of plays I am capable of.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($1732.65)
BB ($762.05)
UTG ($608.40)
MP ($290.40)
Hero ($636)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $18.

Flop: ($51) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $34</font>, BB calls $34.

Turn: ($119) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($119) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $42</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $250</font>
Old 09-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: 600$NL 6max, AKo Rate my bluff

whoa, i don't like it at all. firing a second barell is like 100x more beliveable than this. What are you supposed to have here, like AsXs? Wouldn't you fire the turn with this hand anyway? Plus his river bet looks like a fake blocker to me.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:43 PM

I dont agree that his riverbet is a fake blocker (Or did you mean that he also could do a fake blocker with a weak hand hoping to induce a bluff?). After he calls my flop bet there is an extremely small chance he has a flush or a straight on the river.

As for the credibility of my line I thought it would make sense to him that I would check behind with a flushdraw or gutshot with 89. Or has it become so standard these days to bet the turn when you get extra outs?

What do you think of the size of the raise? I think maybe I should have made it smaller.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:45 PM

Pray that he is too busy on his other 11 tables to notice that your play does not represent any logical hand. Wtf are you trying to represent here? Unless he thinks you are a huge fish who will make this sort of play with a set or overpair, he's calling.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:47 PM

If he has anything, he will probably call. It looks like a frustration raise on your part.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:48 PM

everyone is being kinda weird here...i think this is pretty sick, just don't overuse it. raise might be a little big but i like it.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has anything, he will probably call. It looks like a frustration raise on your part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it wasnt frustration at all. I made the raise because I thought I could represent a real hand that would make sense to him. It appears my thinking has been wrong though. Explain to me why, I want to hear more.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:55 PM

Just to add, I would play 89 or a flush the exact same way including the big raise on the river a high % of the time. Obviously that doesnt help me much if noone else recognizes the line, but I thought this particular player might.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont agree that his riverbet is a fake blocker (Or did you mean that he also could do a fake blocker with a weak hand hoping to induce a bluff?). After he calls my flop bet there is an extremely small chance he has a flush or a straight on the river.

As for the credibility of my line I thought it would make sense to him that I would check behind with a flushdraw or gutshot with 89. Or has it become so standard these days to bet the turn when you get extra outs?

What do you think of the size of the raise? I think maybe I should have made it smaller.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) well i don't see too many solid mult-tablers make this 1/3 pot river bet after turn goes c/c unless they want to get bluff-raised. I mean, do you really think this guy is making this weak value bet with second pair or something? maybe TPGK, but again, with this weak beat size I wouldn't be shocked to see him commit himself to calling a reraise because his river bet is sooo bluff-inducing.

2) against solid players I always look for oppertunities to fire a second barell, and picking up extra outs is one of those times for sure

3) yeah, size might be a little much, i don't think it's terrible though
Old 09-08-2006, 06:18 PM

You make a very valid point about his bet size. I mean, I really dont understand his bet at all when I look at it now because regulars RARELY make these types of bets. At the time though I didnt think about the size of his bet. I just read him for maximum a set and thought I could buy it reppin a straight or a flush. I really would have made the raise if he had bet 2/3 or 3/4 of the pot too.

But you are right, he has to take his own weak bet into account here. That made me rep frustration.