Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.
Default Re: Is it Worth it playing any 2 suited pockets?

I saw somewhere (HEPFAP?) that you're about 6% to hit the flush by the river, so your estimate is about right. Suited connectors bring that average up some. Middle SCs (T9-87) give you a better chance yet to have the best hand by the river by virtue of top pair/top 2. All in all, they're still pretty speculative.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:12 PM

i'm not one for combing my history of hands played for answers to questions like that...usually i rely on my books and my simulator for an answer like that

don't have my hold em library handy, nor do i have my simulator here as well...i'll try to get back to you with some info

but here is what rules of thumb i have for myself--these i got from reading--offhand i believe the sources were SSHE and Weighing the Odds in Hold em

when playing 2 cards suited, i am looking for minimum pot odds of 6 to 1 before i consider playing them when the 2 cards lack high card power or are not connected...

but if the 2 cards have a way to win other than drawing a flush (such as high card power Ax, Kx, or connected such that a straight could be made, i come down to about 5 or 4 to 1)

(of course, your chart of hand of starting hands would cover the case of a hand has all three elements, suited, high and connected)

to get odds needed i believe i need a loose passive table preflop...and on the flop round, not much raising going on...

i would not be surprised if others thought there guidelines i am using could be improved upon, comments welcome

this will be interesting because i may wind up changing my play some based on review of my library & some number crunching...thanks for putting up the question!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:45 PM

thanks I googled the information and got some further clarification

It puzzles me why people have to take their "valuable time" to say "look it up"

I thank the sincere posters
Old 09-03-2006, 04:51 PM

I agree. Just about all the value in low suited cards comes from making a flush and having 1-2 people pay you off. Since the chances of making a flush with two suited cards preflop is about 4%, you need to be getting very good pot odds plus have at least one sucker already in the pot. This is different of course if your hand has other value such as high cards or connected cards.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks I googled the information and got some further clarification

It puzzles me why people have to take their "valuable time" to say "look it up"

I thank the sincere posters

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, my time isn't valuable at all. I just happen to think that spoonfeeding you simple answers isn't going to help your game or my game at all. If you actually do some home work instead of waiting for strangers to help you, you might just learn something instead of being told something.

I could have just told you that you have to be running really hot to hit your flush enough with garbage sooted cards that there is no way you are going to make your money back for the times you miss. Or worse the times you flop a flush and lose to the guy playing the ace the of your suit who hits on the river.

Instead I thought I might try and teach you two lessons instead of one. Looks like you still expect people to give you the answers without having to do any work so I guess it's a good thing I'm not a teacher.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Just about all the value in low suited cards comes from making a flush and having 1-2 people pay you off. Since the chances of making a flush with two suited cards preflop is about 4%, you need to be getting very good pot odds plus have at least one sucker already in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important to remember that some of those flushes made by the river will be backdoor draws. If you plan to call to the river every single time you have suited cards, you are going to need even better odds.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Here is what my simulator, the one i got for sending in my boxtops to PokerAcademy, says are the percentage of times you will win if you hold the suited hand in the left column...this assumes the opponents play, on average, 25% of their starting hands (weighted for stronger starting hands by position)...the columns across are the number of players total in the hand...here's an example of how to read this, you hold 27 suited, and are one of 6 players in that hand, in the simulation 13% of the time the 27 suited was the best hand on the river....

..... 4.. 6. 9. 10

2-7 18 13 10 10
2-6 18 15 11 10
2-5 19 15 13 12
2-4 19 16 14 10
2-3 19 14 12 11

2-A 23 19 13 09
6-A 25 16 12 11
6-K 22 15 09 08
9-A 26 17 11 11
9-K 25 18 12 11

5-6 23 19 14 11
7-8 23 17 13 11

9-T 23 17 12 09
8-T 23 17 12 09
7-T 21 15 08 08
6-T 20 14 12 11

anyone else get similar or different results on their machines/programs?

please submit your questions, comments, rotten tomatoes....?