Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Did I go all-in at the right time?

[ QUOTE ]
Fortuna

Could you please elaborate for a one year rookie like me regarding the comment about losing a 2-1 is not a bad beat?

And what is BBV?

Just trying to get better.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

BBV is Beats, Brags and Variance forum

2:1 is not a bad beat - you EXPECT to lose it 1 time out of 3. Bad beat is A6 vs A7 and A6 wins, or when someone runner-runners a hand to beat your flop nuts....
Old 09-08-2006, 11:47 AM

Open-pushing this hand from ANY POSITION with M=5 is fine. Pushing over a UTG raise is not a winning play IMO, since the USUAL UTG opening range has you dominated so badly.

I do not like it.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fortuna

Could you please elaborate for a one year rookie like me regarding the comment about losing a 2-1 is not a bad beat?

And what is BBV?

Just trying to get better.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of all of the times this year you'll go all in with hands like you lost with. You're going to win 2/3 of them. Don't be afraid to gamble when you have the best of it- after all, poker IS gambling.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pushing over a UTG raise is not a winning play IMO, since the USUAL UTG opening range has you dominated so badly.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, but this isn't just ANY UTG raise- this villan obviously has a much broader range than is typical. It seems that KQs is well ahead of his range.

I initially said fold, but I think I have to go with push. Not because of this hand in isolation, but if villan is opening a lot of pots we are not really going to get a chance to open push, which means we're now waiting on a premium hand. And waiting for premium hands with this short of a stack is not good. I'd rather push, comfortable I was ahead of his range and hope to double up.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Hero has no fold equity in his push so I don't like a push here.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

An good exercise would probably be to get Pokerstove (just google it) and just plug in hands against ranges. You'll find, especially multi-way, that some seemingly weak HU holdings increase in equity in multi-way pots.

This late, even if I have a comparable stack in regards with other players, I'd be happy to go broke with KQs. I'd shove most pairs, I'd have to think about 22-44 though, but might still push if doubling up gave me a significant advantage chip-wise, because at this point in the tournament, any double is HUGE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fire up Pokerstove every time I find myself in one of these situations, to justify if I win and to console myself when I lose. Waiting for a power hand to take advantage of a LAG bullier is one of the sweet moments in a tournament. David Sklansky has a nice section in TPFAP about all in strategy.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero has no fold equity in his push so I don't like a push here.

[/ QUOTE ]If we're ahead of villan's range we don't need fold equity.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM

This is all very helpful information, from both sides of the argument. I appreciate the discussion it's raised.

And yeah, calling it a bad beat is a bit much from my end. Losing a hand 2:1 preflop isn't anything to get mad about. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM

UTG is calling with anything here because your push is not that much more than his raise.

I'd rather wait a spot until it is folded around to me and THEN push -- because you have the chance that everyone will fold. He had J10o, but his range here includes a lot of hands that KQs is behind.

When short stacked I try to be the first into a pot with a push -- not push after one or more limpers / raisers, unless I have a hand with showdown value.

Also, try to find a spot to push before you are down to an M of 5 -- I look for spots when I am around 7-8 -- that way you have more fold equity because of your stack size.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is calling with anything here because your push is not that much more than his raise.

[/ QUOTE ]This is true. We have 0 fold equity.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather wait a spot until it is folded around to me and THEN push -- because you have the chance that everyone will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]This is correct, which is why I initially said "fold". However, if this player is opening a lot of pots there's a good chance we're not going to get the chance to push an unopened pot until we're too low to make a difference. I've been in that situation before with a LAG to my right, and it becomes very difficult to get first in. It's true that OP is going to have five more hands to find a push before this raiser is acting before him again, so maybe that's enough to fold. But really, if there's a good chance we're ahead of his range, this might be the best shot we get of making a stand and doubling up. I'd rather be pushing here and racing than going in with AK and an M of 3 20 hands from now.