Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you play 8/16 at Party?
Yes 17 80.95%
No 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Roommate moves out, does he owe?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you are missing the "Who gives a [censored], it's only $20" option

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 AM

i became confused and apathetic and selected a random option.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 AM

i think if you have to make this poll it didnt happen exactly how you claimed.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Well if you guys were going to split a $20 cleaning bill 3 ways and you owe him $48 for your share of the utilities, then I'm assuming you would actually get to subtract $6.67 from your $48 total.

If the cleaning bill was actually $60 and his part of it was $20, still, you are not allowed to subtract his whole share of cleaning expenses from your share of the utilties unless the following occurs.

You paid maid service $60. You collect $20 from old roommate and the other roomate you are currently living with.

If you have already split the cost of the cleaning service with yourself and the other roommate prior to the new one showing up, the ex-roommate owes you both $10.

Ex-Roommate is now paying $144 for you and other old roomie's share of utilities. If he's being a dick over $20 and you really wanna be a bigger dick, since he's asking for this money and is moving out, the bill(s) are obviously in his name, simply make him pay the whole utility bill, or let the [censored] get cut off and open a new account in your name. No skin off your nose there.

The house becoming filthy occurred while he was still there. He verbally agreed to split the bill.

The enjoyment of electricity and water was happening while he still lived there. You verbally agreed to split the bill.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM

Clearly, this whole debate hinges on whether or not he left the lathe.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 AM

Well, if you owe him more for utilities than he owes you for cleaning, there's not a god damned thing he can do about it. Py him what you think is owed to him and you're done.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 AM

Honestly, this is exactly as it happened. He admits to me that he agreed to paying $20 (for what would be a $60 cleaning bill) but, he claimed: "I was under the assumption that this would happen before I moved out".

I explained that it didn't make sense to have a cleaning crew come in while he was moving out, as his clothes, boxes, diploma, lathe, etc were strewn about his room and the kitchen. I told him it did not matter whether the cleaning took place on August 30th or September 2nd, he agreed to it, and no matter where you live, it is expected that you clean your apartment before moving out.

He has been a decent friend for years, but has been absent the last few months before moving out (and in with his girlfriend), and I barely see him or hang out with him anymore.

I agree that this is not worth $20, but it's changed a little by the fact that he is ASKING ME FOR $48 that I owe him. Even if you don't care about $20, could you really in good conscience pay him $48 and forget about the $20 because he is being difficult about it?

I know that I'm right here, but basically trying to figure out a way to rationalize this in my mind, because he's a friend and I don't want to believe he is being a 100% d-bag here.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Yeah I would probably just tell him if he's broke he can ask to borrow some money instead of trying to get nitty over 20 bucks. Oh, you're not broke? Then go [censored] yourself.

NT
Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, this is exactly as it happened. He admits to me that he agreed to paying $20 (for what would be a $60 cleaning bill) but, he claimed: "I was under the assumption that this would happen before I moved out".

I explained that it didn't make sense to have a cleaning crew come in while he was moving out, as his clothes, boxes, diploma, lathe, etc were strewn about his room and the kitchen. I told him it did not matter whether the cleaning took place on August 30th or September 2nd, he agreed to it, and no matter where you live, it is expected that you clean your apartment before moving out.

He has been a decent friend for years, but has been absent the last few months before moving out (and in with his girlfriend), and I barely see him or hang out with him anymore.

I agree that this is not worth $20, but it's changed a little by the fact that he is ASKING ME FOR $48 that I owe him. Even if you don't care about $20, could you really in good conscience pay him $48 and forget about the $20 because he is being difficult about it?

I know that I'm right here, but basically trying to figure out a way to rationalize this in my mind, because he's a friend and I don't want to believe he is being a 100% d-bag here.

[/ QUOTE ]