Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 11:07 PM

Default Re: New to Omaha Two Hands

Dave,

Just curious so I can have a better idea where you are coming from in your other posts.

What is your general feeling on re-raising pre-flop with about 100xbb stacks. Don't need to go into tons of detail or anything, but are your rarely re-raising pre unless very specific circumstances are there?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 AM

good post dave
Old 09-05-2006, 08:18 AM

Jhall23,

Well the first thing to say is that reraising with medium strength hands is a very common NLHE play, especially for someone like Bldswttrs. There are a lot of benefits to the play in *that* game which don't necessarily transfer over to PLO.

Strangely, if someone told me that they never reraised preflop, but they were still a winning player, I would believe them. PLO is so much more a flop game than NLHE. Also, hand values preflop run very much closer. So the purpose in reraising is nearly always just deception. I havent looked at any stats, but my feel is that raisers are many times more likely to call a reraise in PLO than NLHE. So often all a reraise is doing is greatly increasing your variance.

If I were going to offer some rules of thumb they would be:

1. If you are going to reraise, make sure its not just with AA.
2. Be very aware of stack sizes. You ideally want smaller or massive stacks. The example given was just about the worse case, stack wise.
3. Reraise tighter, dumber players more than looser, tricky ones as you are likely to be in better shape vs their calling range.
4. Being double suited is the most important feature of a reraising hand - from what I've seen playing versus chronic reraisers.

gl

dd
Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks Dave,

[ QUOTE ]
I havent looked at any stats, but my feel is that raisers are many times more likely to call a reraise in PLO than NLHE. So often all a reraise is doing is greatly increasing your variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that this is very true from my experiences in levels up to 1/2. I pretty much never expect a re-raise to take the pot down pre-flop. It is also alot more difficult to pick up pots on the flop when you have the initiative unless against tight bad players.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM

dave, from what i've watched in the big game reraising is very common so it must be important some way. as far as i can see reraising is good to do with position (don't a lot of PLO players limp in EP even with good hands just because of position?),and vs. a worst opponent to build pot size.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:44 PM

Bruiser,

From what I've seen, it would be a mistake to assume that how PLO is played at the highest limits online, fullring, is remotely near the "best" or "correct" way to play.

gl

dd
Old 09-07-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dave, from what i've watched in the big game reraising is very common so it must be important some way. as far as i can see reraising is good to do with position (don't a lot of PLO players limp in EP even with good hands just because of position?),and vs. a worst opponent to build pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course reraising pre is good in position. if stacks were deep enough i'd reraise every single hand in position. why the f not? if you have total garbage you're prolly like 49% preflop cause omaha math is awesome. so you lose 1% of edge with that raise and think how much more you're gonna get postflop playing big pots with position!!!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:47 PM

Are you Michel from EuroRounders?

gl

dd