Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Pokerstars 4/180 Final Table Question

This is only a couple hands into the final table. I get the impression that the big stack (small blind) is only the big stack due to poor calls where he got lucky based on the converstation (he was at the other table).

How bad did I play this? I felt as though he was trying to steal with his min-raise and I played back at him, but should I have just given it up preflop? Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG (t13210)
UTG+1 (t29045)
MP1 (t28308)
MP2 (t30392)
CO (t21630)
Button (t9655)
SB (t100339)
Hero (t37421)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, A.
6 folds, SB raises to t3200, Hero raises to t7000, SB calls t3800.

Flop: (t14450) 8, 6, 4 (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t7500, SB calls t7500.

Turn: (t29450) 2 (2 players)
SB bets t24000, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t53450
Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Pokerstars 4/180 Final Table Question

I don't like this very much. You've given him about 3:1 odds to call you pre-flop, so even if he's stealing he's not going to just fold. If you're pretty sure that he's stealing make a bigger raise. But I'd wait until you have a better read before tangling with the big stack. You're not desperate yet. And looking at the table chatter isn't a great way to draw conclusions...for all you know he's getting berated for calling all ins with crappy cards...even though he may have been getting pot odds that made it well worth it. Many players don't understand that this is a good move (particularly for a big stack) and its one of the most common things for bad players to criticize.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:20 PM

You're 2nd in chips - ATo is NOT the nuts. Min-raise from a bad player often means big hand.

Fold preflop. Steal from other medium stacks.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:21 PM

I would probably just call PF, we have position and are 2nd in chips. Check behind on the flop (altho' a c-bet isn't terrible, but based on your read I don't think it'll do the trick). Pretty easy fold on the turn, but since he has a ton of chips I'm trying to keep the pot as small as possible.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:22 PM

I'd just call pre-flop because you have a lot of chips and you don't really want to create a huge pot. If you had around 20k I'd definitely say push.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:22 PM

This is pretty bad

First off, after big stack's raise there is like about 6400 in the pot. 20% of your stack.

You have a read that this player is bad and a calling station. You raise to 7K. Which is like approaching 1/4 of your stack...but gives this player awesome odds preflop for a tiny fraction of his chips.

You seriously just gave a LAG fish calling station 4:1 preflop? No way in the world are they folding. ... and they are likely calling you down with any piece of it.
ATo isn't that strong of a hand in the first place.

If you want to 'pop' him here...you basically are pushing in...IMHO.

The pot is around 20% of your current stack...
You're up against a LAGgy fishy calling station who has chips to burn.

He's going to call a raise, and has so many chips to burn he can easily make a play on you post-flop or "trap" you with 3rd pair or some trash. What does he care?

Sadly, I think its push/fold/call for you here.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Also,

you currently have position on a bad player who likes to make bad calls?

ZOMG!

Don't blow it w/ATo

Let him make a bad call against you. Seriously dude.
This is a lottery ticket.

Edit:

I just want to review to make sure you get this.

You just put 1/2 your stack into this pot with no hand and no pair against a calling station who has chips to burn and will make bad calls against you.

2nd edit:

I like Mornaleth's point...but I personally would still call here and try to keep it small post flop unless I flop BIG. I feel like if I fold to his min-raise he can minraise blind me down all day long. There are a lot of other factors in this, though.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all.

If it had been ATs preflop would you have played it differently?

In retrospect, I think that he was trying to get value for a pair with his min-raise preflop. Either way, my reraise with ATo preflop was awful. I busted out in 7th after being 2nd in chips, and loosing almost half my stack on this hand was a big part of the reason why. Next time I'll play it better.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Looks like a dream flop for the blinds. I'm not sure I'd stay with this after the turn. You did right to raise him IMHO, and with him calling there wasn't much you could do.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd edit:

I like Mornaleth's point...but I personally would still call here and try to keep it small post flop unless I flop BIG. I feel like if I fold to his min-raise he can minraise blind me down all day long. There are a lot of other factors in this, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I do not recommend doing it ALL DAY LONG... If he keeps doing - we'll have to take a stand somewhere along the way - I just think it's too early and we're far from having exhausted other options.

"I'm very disappointed that no one asked if there's a live one at the table..." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]