Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Default playing one table of SSNL

I decided I'm going to play SSNL for a while. i've done a lot of bouncing around to different games (SSNL, SSL, SSSH, SNGs, HUSNGs) and decided I need to focus on getting good at one game. SSNL not only seems like most profitable right now, but also least likely to get burnt out on.

Anyways, I was thinking about how benificial it would be for me to play one table for an extended amount of time. I don't have any problems multitabling, I have time to make decisions and everything, but I fear that I'm going to stay grounded in my knowledge of the game, and working more on it now will pay dividends later.

Any thought on this?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:30 PM

Default Re: playing one table of SSNL

I play 3, and if I didnt have lots of overlap I dont think I would be any worse at all for it. As is, I feel that I play VERY marginally worse as my reads arent as dead on. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

edit to say: I think one table is too few, and you will be terribly bored and that will make you lose focus very easily. I think 2-3 is ok.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31 PM

Everyone is different. If one table will help you learn and reinforce correct play then go for it.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 PM

I think you can easily manage getting detailed reads, analyzing hands as they happen and indepth thought while playing two tables. It isn't much different from one table. The only thing I think you lose is gaining reads from hands you are not involved in because you'll have to pick which table to watch and miss the other, and sometimes you'll be interupted by the other table while you're watching a hand.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 PM

I started with 2, then moved to 3, now 4-tabling. Each move was made when I found myself getting bored and making more plays just to generate some action. Should be more disciplined than that of course. Frankly, there are times when I think I should go to 5 tables, but I haven't yet and keep telling my self "discipline, you fool!" Start with one and add more if you want/need to after you get some more play under your belt.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:42 PM

id start with 2 and add one as you feel comfortable, stopping at 4 for a while.

1 would make me gouge my eyes out.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 PM

You can probably do all this two-tabling. Whatever feels comfortable.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM

If you can already multitable OK I'd start with 2tables.

You can only really learn by playing against better opposition which is generally found at $200+ ABC poker is simple stuff(comparitively) so I'd multi as high a limit as I'm rolled for sticking to the basics until I got to $200 with something like a $5k roll and then cut back on tables and put much more time and effort into studying and focusing on reads then.

I one table lots of the time these days - generally I 2 table until I find a really good one - then I focus on just that and so far my winrate is much better.

Tho I do plan on adding more tables soon - probably up to 4.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:35 PM

Bah!

8 Table! The only way to go!!!

Margon
Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 PM

Just wanted to throw in some things here, I'm not one tabling because I can't keep up multitabling (I was 6 tabling on a 1600x1200 jus yesterday, although normally most the time it's 4) It mostly deals with the fact that I'm making moves in a vacume(why the hell can't I think of how to spell it) and that fact that I'm not sure if they're the right move anyway.

I'm trying to figure out what it means when someone mini-c/rs me, or when I'm donked into on the flop when I was the PFR. Or when somone overbets the pot out of nowere. Also I've noticed I'm not thinking much past that either, meaning I'm not t thinking enough about how my opponents think I'm doing, and so on. It's kind of hard to explain it but i don't think I'm thinking about subtleties enough and WHY I make the moves I'm making.

Playing a lot of tables at the same time isn't going to make me any better, and while I'm pretty sure I'm a winner, I'm also sure I can get a lot better, I mean these are terrible players but I'm only marginally beating the rake it seems.. So I thought of what I can do to improve. Sure, I can post hands I had trouble with after a session, but damn I usually don't remember that hand 30 seconds later unless it resulted in me winning or losing a big pot.

Although I've avoided strat forums like the plauge, I'm going to start posting more, any time I'm not sure what the right line is. I'm also going to run through a lot of old HH on PT and analze some of my play, and post hands I had trouble on. This forum is a goldmine of free advice, and I'm simply not using it enough.

I'm not sure when I'll start adding tables again, but probably soon. Each step I think will be quicker, meaning i'll go through 2 tables quicker then one, and so on. I expect to be up to 8-tabling (just bought a 2nd 1600x1200) eventually, and by that time I think I'll be a much better player.