Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 06:06 PM

Default KK/AA pre flop

Just interested to hear others strategy with AA/KK when there's been a raise in front of you. I feel like when I re-raise them I'm just shouting 'I GOT AA EVERYBODY, YOU CAN ALL FOLD ON THE FLOP UNLESS U HIT SOMETHING HUGE'. Does anyone like just calling to disguise their hand and getting more chips on the flop when he c-bets or hits a second best hand?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: KK/AA pre flop

I reraise QQ JJ and AK as well unless the initial raiser is UTG and super super tight, and will reraise with more hands depending on position. So if they wanna give me credit for AA every time I have one of those hands, that's great.

As far as calling goes, it depends on a number of factors. Can you get away from AA if you're beat. Also, if it seems somewhat reasonable that you'll end up HU or at worst 3-way, then it could be a decent way to mix up your hand strength.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:15 PM

I usually whisper that I have AA in case they are hearing-impaired. So, in other words, no capital letters.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM

You're probably too much of a rock. Probably not reraising enough . . .
Old 09-06-2006, 06:43 PM

I call with AA/KK if I think that the initial raise was enough that there won't be callers behind AND the initial raiser is agressive. At a loose table against a min or 3x raise, unless you're on the button you almost have to raise to protect your hand. If I'm fairly certain that there will be no more callers I will just call, unless the initial raiser is tight and won't be a miffed flop.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:49 PM

interesting comments, thanks guys
Old 09-06-2006, 08:56 PM

I think not re-raising AA/KK pre-flop is a mistake most of the time.

There's lots of cases where 88-QQ will raise pre-flop but shut down completely on the flop if there are overs. If you just call their bet, your are either going to win a small pot or get stacked. By re-raising pre-flop you are going to extract more from your aces in the long run in these situations. 88-QQ aren't going to fold to a re-raise (unless you are the tightest player out there) and you may even get QQ/KK pushing their stack all-in against your re-raise.

Calling is a good way to disguise your hand, but that disguise really only helps you when villian flops all unders to their overpair, or gets a significant piece of the flop.

That's my theory anyway.