Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: An example of successful deception with AA

I think it's interesting that you think it is remarkable to stack Villains when they have nothing....at 50NL.

I postulate that the results would be exactly the same if you played it like this:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB ($61.55)
UTG ($52.55)
Hero ($52.25)
MP2 ($45.50)
CO ($31.05)
Button ($77.15)
SB ($89.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 calls</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: ($5.60) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $5.60, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $15, Hero pushes, MP calls (All-In)</font>.

Turn: ($92.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($92.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $92.25

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ad Ac (three of a kind, aces).
MP2 has Qs Ks (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins $92.25. </font>

Dumb villains make dumb moves. Your play doesn't much matter vs. dumb villains, usually.

P.S. If you are going to limp-reraise, why are you giving him such great odds?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:55 PM

succesful deception with AA at NL 50?? lollerskates. Playing AA like AA is the way to make money at these stakes.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:57 PM

I like villain's play more than I like hero's here.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like villain's play more than I like hero's here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol....so true [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would rather post these in MSNL, but I am not allowed to because of the stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
down here in SS everyone says you must raise all the time blah ty blah ty blah and we generally frown upon real poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Fancy plays are a waste of time against Villans that don't understand, don't care, and aren't actually being tricked by anything, they just suck. That's why nobody in SS likes preflop LRRing, and that's why there's an arbitrary stakes division between the forums.

Edit: OP, this is a question that I ask a lot in Micro-Limit: if the river had been J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] instead of 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], would you have posted this hand?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:01 PM

betgo,

You didn't mention any of the reads that would have been neccessary to make this play worthwhile, and while I think this play would work fine in a MTT with relatively short stacks, this will more often than not get you in trouble at these stakes.

This would be a reasonable preflop line if you were at a table where close to every hand was getting raised preflop, or if there was someone on the button that really seemed to like to punish limpers with a wide variaty of hands. At most 50NL tables I have ever seen, this is almost never the case (usually it is more likely to have 5 limpers). You played a really wierd line that worked out for you in this case against an agressive villian, good for you. I think the more likely outcome is that you pick of 3 more limpers, and the flop comes KQ2 and you have no idea what to do.

As it is things worked out perfectly..

Edit: I think you would get flamed even worse than this in MSNL..
Old 09-06-2006, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
succesful deception with AA at NL 50?? lollerskates. Playing AA like AA is the way to make money at these stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Live NL games tend to be maniacal at the stakes I have played (1/2-5/10), so I tend to take a nut peddling approach. Online games are tighter, and deception and aggression are key parts of my game. It is not usual for people to go allin with nothing in online 25c/50c.

It is really difficult to win playing your cards face up. The key in this hand was I limpraised as the second limper, so villain did not put me on AA.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is really difficult to win playing your cards face up. The key in this hand was I limpraised as the second limper, so villain did not put me on AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, because that's Exactly what anyone with a brain would've put you on.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The key in this hand was I limpraised as the second limper, so villain did not put me on AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really can't imagine why this post was locked the first time around. betgo, what evidence can you proffer that Villan was deceived, and wasn't just, as someone kindly pointed out above, inattentive and over-playing his SD? Do you have 5K hands on this Villan where he's played well and never gotten out of line, or was this the 18th hand you played against him and he left the table when you stacked him?

(This post would be GREAT if betgo came out and said, "I was MP2 and I played like this because I thought there was no way Villan had a real hand after he LRR'd.")
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Which part is deceptive? Your o-so-obvious pre-flop re-raise, or employing your only real move (checking) on a flop in which you flopped the nuts?