Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Deuces never loses!

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with your play is off course if all calls. Now the turn can be tricky to play in a now medium big pot.

It is sort of like limping preflop UTG with AA at a 10 handed table and receiving lots of callers, it could lead to a difficult descision later.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly right. Some ppl limp w/ AA and can't get away with it after the flop, which is the worst play. I don't think I get away w/ a set on turn/river, so I'd just start bombing the pot.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:39 PM

So how did the hand play out Pokey? Any final thoughts?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 PM

of course dueces never lose, they make bottomset which is invincible

of course if they were to lose it would be to the weakbet, thats begging for badthings
Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it except for 3-betting AI. Call the raise very quickly to keep under-representing your hand. I'd probably keep check/calling the turn if its HU and shove most rivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this as a nice change of pace to the standard play.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 PM

I think the weak bet screams "strong hand" more than a PSB. Other than the flush draw, this is a very nondescript flop. I think the small $3 bet will scream of a trap to any thinking player, and the weak, loose players at your table will chase you even if you make a PSB. Also, the typical weak, loose players I see are unlikely to make the raise you want, they will just call.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the weak bet screams "strong hand" more than a PSB.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the players, doesn't it? Bad players often weak bet to test the waters with their small pairs and/or draws hoping to control the pot size.

If I knew a player was decent, I would find a weak bet suspicious and a possible monster. Against a bad player, its a sign of a weak hit that isn't committed to playing out the hand.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the players, doesn't it? Bad players often weak bet to test the waters with their small pairs and/or draws hoping to control the pot size.

If I knew a player was decent, I would find a weak bet suspicious and a possible monster. Against a bad player, its a sign of a weak hit that isn't committed to playing out the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would agree with that. I'm making the assumption that any thinking player realizes that OP is a solid player. If opponents don't think, then the small bet accomplishes nothing other than getting 4 players to chase and have the right odds to do it imo. That's why I only like small bets against thinking players - and only when I want them to think I'm strong.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:25 PM

If they're loose and bad, I'd be just a little afraid of "freezing" them with a small bet. Maybe a small risk but it's a bad outcome.

If I wanted to try to trap money, I'd go for a straight checkraise instead with 4 others in there.

[hijack]Pokey for mod![/hijack]
Old 09-06-2006, 04:28 PM

i cant remember who i talked to about this, but another option is the minbet $1, however the scenarios i was thinknig about was leading into preflop raiser when its HU. a solid player will pot it 85% of the time by my reckoning, because its a move fish use when flushing
Old 09-06-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I would agree with that. I'm making the assumption that any thinking player realizes that OP is a solid player. If opponents don't think, then the small bet accomplishes nothing other than getting 4 players to chase and have the right odds to do it imo. That's why I only like small bets against thinking players - and only when I want them to think I'm strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reasoning is doubly flawed, because Pokey is new to the table and because most of OP's opponents are not thinking players.

I don't need a full hand to count the number of players for which this weak bet means a monster.

I always think of Dan Harrington here. HoH isn't a fantastic book for NLHE cash, but one adage is very good: "Most bets mean pretty much exactly what they look like they mean, and if you always keep this in mind, you will make a lot of money playing poker." Presumably both because you can figure out what weak players bets mean, and because you know what other players will think your bets mean.

Of course, Pokey, most of your opponents are very unlikely to have read HoH, so I'm not sure you'll get the action you want here.