Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 PM

Default Highest Chip Stack you had in a tourney vs place finished

Hi,

I have never seen anybody talk about this in the past. Let's say you start with 1,500 chips and get to 45,000 (not in a rebuy), that means that you got to the average of when there will be 1/30th of the people left (let's say 30 people left in a 900 entrants tourney). You may very well get there with 200, 90, or 12 people left. If you finished worse than 30th you didn't finish as strong as you could have. It also works the other way, if you may finish 15th without ever getting more than 45,000 chips you did a great job.

So would it mean anything if you would look at the highmark of your chip stack vs the place you finished?

If you consistently finish deeper than your highmark would suggest, would it mean you are too Taggy, but if you finish earlier, you would be too laggy?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Highest Chip Stack you had in a tourney vs place finished

[ QUOTE ]

If you consistently finish deeper than your highmark would suggest, would it mean you are too Taggy, but if you finish earlier, you would be too laggy?
Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. if you get a lot of chips you still might get sucked out on. The important thing is who is all the chips at the end of the tournament. If your stack / blind ratio (a/k/a M) is very high, you can use that to bully the table if you wait for the right situations. You can play tight and wait for the bubble to push people around, or you can play loose, figuing that some loose calls aren't going to ding your stack too badly and they may open up some opportunities to use your stack to bully other players.

If you get a big stack and you piss it away at the wrong times, such as by making loose calls or raises and then not following up with continuation bets, or doing it out of position or against small stacks, that is one way to finish earlier than you thought you would. Also, you can get sucked out on.

It's also possible to not do so well, get into pushbot mode, double twice in a row to get to an average stack, make some steals on the bubble, and finish higher than you "high water mark."

In other words, it only matters who has the chips at the end of the tournament. Having a lot of chips early gives you some opportunities but it's not a guarantee. and finishing earlier / later has more to do with how you use your stack than how big your stack is at any given time.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know about the rest, but the answer to this is no.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:46 PM

I understand what the poster is trying to get across, and I would say if you were to play millions of tournies, and you are too TAG, then you would on average make deep finishes short stacked late most of the time, and overly LAGgy people seem to lose big chip leads. I think this is interesting, especially if you look truly long term.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:39 PM

I find that typically, when my high chip count in a 50 man tournament starting with 2000 chips each is 100000, I win.

You'd need to clarify your "high chip mark" better, otherwise, the above is the one concrete conclusion.