Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Re: 2 hands from high stakes poker S2E14

Eli is prolly multimillionaire from outside poker as well so saying everyone made there with poker might not be COMPLITELY true.

But considering that these guys play $4k/$8k regularly, switch to deep stack $300/$600 for the show might not exactly be the single most exciting thing in their poker career.

I dunno if it's even to be considered but the stakes are lower and the footage will be available for the players so they see how the other guys think and play. I was just wondering if this affects their game as they'll have to make their money off the other guys in the big game later. Maybe they don't use all their potential for this reason amongst others?

And I agree, it would be nice to see Ivey play as well as some online pros like Mamatha, IKU, Durrr, etc...

Tagline - maybe they're not as bad but instead just don't care/want to care enough. I mean their probs are prolly bigger than the actual money on the table...
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 AM

I recently saw liveatthebike with Barry Greenstein in the booth and he was talking about HSP.

He said something along the lines of: he thought most players there didn't know how to play no limit hold'em very well and he felt he could beat them simply by playing a straight up / technically correct game. Some might call it abc poker. He also didn't want to show alot of tricky plays because of the cameras, i.e. he claimed to have some moves that he is not willing to share with everybody. So he just played it straight on HSP for these two reasons.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Eli is a losing player at the big game. He's not a pro poker player, he plays as a hobby and can afford to lose. On the other hand, I think as Shane said, last show was somewhat of an extreme. He's not THAT bad usually.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im expecting guys like elezra are good at other forms of poker, but he is NOT GOOD, by any means, at cash NLHE

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why aren't more of you guys playing against TV pros?

I never saw threads about this before, so I can just do a search if it will bother you that much. You can make the roll to play 100/200 in like 3-5 months playing 2K NL. I'd imagine w/ living in Vegas and all the online games there is usually at least 1 good game running?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. its a closed game
2. the BR jump from 10/20 to 100/200 is steep.
3. variance. after playing 10/20 would you want to lose a 400k pot to a 2-5 outer?
4. some people dont want to live in vegas

honestly ski i dont know why youre being so oblivious in this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably being kinda oblivious because I don't own a TV and really have very little knowledge about Poker games outside of the few sites I play at.

I constantly see guys here saying "xxxxxx" at 100/200 is such a fish and it seems to me that even if theres theres one fish at at 100/200 table it would be +huge EV to sit, especially if u could get him on ur right.

Also 100/200 is usually around 20K buy in. Sometimes deeper, but a 400K pot would be realy rare.

There are online games, but I guess the big TV fish don't really play online?

I wasn't talking specificaly about that TV show.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What the [censored] are you talking about? What makes you think elezra is so good? Because he won some donkament and you see him on TV a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on his Mirage win, and that he plays tons of high stakes poker in Vegas, and seems to be ambitious about poker, I certainly would expect him to play a better NL game than he does on the show--wouldn't you? I think he ran good early in the show, started to feel invicible and got distracted by props, and all that combined kicked him into super-donk mode.

In regards to the original post: I was wondering about the hand where Lindgren turned quads, and Negreanu bet the nut straight into him. Seems like a good place for Lindgren to raise and have a better chance of stacking DN. As it was, Erick got the obligatory stack-off gift on the river, so it is a moot point, but wouldn't the expert play to have been to raise the turn?

Also, on the Lindgren (KK) vs Elezra (KJ) hand, Eli was getting like 7-1 to call Erick's last 35K on the turn. Is it correct for Eli to fold at that point?

Edit: In hand #1, I don't think Erick should be raising if he plans on folding to a push. Considering how aggro Eli is and the likelihood that he'll still pay Erick off if he makes a flush, why not call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure hes quite good at tourney poker and limit cash games, I'm just saying it doesnt take a genius to see he played horrible on the show.

In that KJ hand, sure, he prob had to pay off by the end. But he played it in a way that basically ensured he'd get stacked by better hands and lose to worse ones.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM

Eli Elezra is awful at NL Hold'em.

As long as he is at the table the game looks pretty easy.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently saw liveatthebike with Barry Greenstein in the booth and he was talking about HSP.

He said something along the lines of: he thought most players there didn't know how to play no limit hold'em very well and he felt he could beat them simply by playing a straight up / technically correct game. Some might call it abc poker. He also didn't want to show alot of tricky plays because of the cameras, i.e. he claimed to have some moves that he is not willing to share with everybody. So he just played it straight on HSP for these two reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

if thats true why on earth did he stay shortstacked?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM

That game was like created for shortstacking.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:39 PM

anybody got a torrent? I have no possibility of watching this in Europe.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if thats true why on earth did he stay shortstacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he said that short stacks get unwarranted action in that game. He did play a full stack for the whole first season.