Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Default Help Me Fix my Leak - Next Level

I have a leak where I am shutting down too much after my initial PF raise and cbet. I probably cbet around 75% of my hands.

To fix this leak, one method is to double barrel more.
Who do I double barrel against?

I think I should be double barrelling against tight aggressives, who have 60%+ cbet fold on flops that are relatively clean when I don't hit. How do I deal with those with under 60% cbet fold rate? Do I check more often? (esp if they are passive?) What about annoying minraises? The only times I don't fold is if I have a made hand or a decent draw.

Does anyone use a check, bet turn line w/ position? or bluff the river once more? I am afraid to use these lines bc many players may call down with 2nd/3rd pair on the river or even A high. (On the flip side, I do make mucho $$ on my made hands.)

Also when are good spots to call river bets which smell like bluffs? These marginal situations and having a solid plan after cbetting is where I am leaking quite a bit of money.

And for those who cbet 90%+, how do you adjust for players who call too much on the flop?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Help Me Fix my Leak - Next Level

anyone?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:41 PM

continue to c-bet, sometimes b3b with air, and c/r turn when you suspect they're floating
Old 09-05-2006, 11:49 PM

check behind with top pair or mid pair sometimes and let it go to showdown. then you can check behind on the flop and continuation bet the turn and get some respect. also, yes, double barrel more. out of position, check raise some turns since people tend to call flops pretty light (even floating with nothing).
Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 AM

When ahnuld was in the SSNL well, he gave some advice on double barreling that i found really useful. Here it is:

[ QUOTE ]
Some guys are just loose loose loose. You can fire every single scare card coming on every street and they will call you down with 22. It happens at 20nl and I know players who do it at 1k nl (pm me for sn). The point I was trying to make is your job is to figure these things out and then adjust your play accordinly. Alot of guys will take cards off OOP, which is really dangerous becuase then they will have to face alot of second barrels on flops that they wil either be really weak or strong on. Something like T82 rainbow flop is great to fire again on on most turn cards. I mean, he either has a set or a hand that cant take much heat on this board. If he has a set, it doesnt matter much becuase my hand doesnt need pot control, I have no showdown value and dont care if I get blown off of it by a big CR. If I have an overpair, and the opponent is nitty, ill be more likely to check the turn in that spot than with air. If a 2,3,K,Q rolls off and he checks, im often firing with crap and hell fold most of the time. Of course, I know my opponent and I know hes capable of folding 9T there becuase he doesnt wanna call my allin bet on the river with that hand.

Some guys will go broke with 9T there. They always think im bluffing and call me down. Of course, it takes me bluffing off half my stack to figure that out the first time against them, but then I know not to fire again without the goods, a good draw. I dont let them run me over either, every now and again ill do a turn bet with crap again just so I dont become completely predictable to these players, but ill need a hand 90% of the time to fire the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 AM

this post applies more to ssnl than it does to msnl.

an interesting point about the loose idiots - rather than occasionally double barreling them, check it down until the river then bet half pot with 8 high (after being the pfr) one time. extremely profitable - either they have noting showdownable and you bluff out their J high, or they call and see that you are a HUGE BLUFFER!!! and it costs you 6BB or something and you win 60BB the next time because of it (keeps the doubt in their minds for very cheap in case you thought they might be wising up)
Old 09-06-2006, 12:23 AM

Thanks for the advice. I remember reading that post actually by ahnuld, but one thing of note is quite a few villians that I have trouble cbetting against are precisely the ones that would call down with 9T.

So is it acceptable to check w/o the goods against these players? if I'm c/f on the flop after PFR when I don't hit, is it a losing play?

For some reason there's always someone thinking I'm betting down with 8high.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:28 AM

it's fine to check it when you miss, esp if it is 3 way or more. be sure to make your value bets much bigger and value bet much more liberally (it may feel wrong to fire 3/4 pot on river with 99 on T5272 board, but if they're calling with A5, make them pay for it.

but the thing about those HUGE river bluffs of 6 big blinds or so is really good advice. one of those will give you three river calls with their A5 v your 99.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:31 AM

Knowing when to fire the second barrel often requires good hand-reading skills. You need to be able to put your opponent on a range of hands and decide whether betting or not betting will be profitable depending upon his looseness or tightness. Also, you'll really need to be able to weigh that decision with what you think your image is with that specific player.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:37 AM

I find I can generally determine when to double barrel against a tight player, but against a loose fish I have a hard time.

It's analagous to the situation when a loose passive or aggressive minbets on the flop. I am unsure of whether villian will fold or not to a healthy raise.

Usually I am incorrect about their ability to actually fold a hand, which makes me think that since I make so much when I do have a hand against these donks that I just stay away from cbetting and fold to the minbets. Unfortunately I don't think that can be correct either, since 63% of the time I don't hit a hand and I'll just get run over if I'm doing all the folding w/o a hand or draw.