Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Help with AQ/AJ/KQ

Hi all,

I'm doing some analysis of my game, and am leaking quite a bit with AQ/AJ/KQ (or so I think). My sample size for each hand is between 50-100 hands.

AQs - up 3BB per hand
AQ - down 1BB per hand
AJs - down 2BB per hand
AJ - down 2BB per hand
KQs - down 3BB per hand
KQ - up 2BB per hand

I play FR micro levels, and raise AQ/AQs from all pos, and raise AJ/AJs/KQ/KQs from MP.

Seems I make and lose the most money when i hit top pair. I C-BET 60-70% of the time, and will lead the turn with TPTK/TPGK if villian hasnt shown strength. It also looks like these hands win small pots, but lose the big ones.

Can anybody offer any advice on this? Should I be looking to check the turn with top pair for pot control?

Also I have a theory that people don't respect Q or J high flops as much as K or A high flops if you're a pre-flop raiser. Any thoughts?

thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Help with AQ/AJ/KQ

[ QUOTE ]
Also I have a theory that people don't respect Q or J high flops as much as K or A high flops if you're a pre-flop raiser. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you here. Facing an Ace on the flop after calling a pre-flop raise really sucks, as the raiser will usually have a medium pair or Aces by the flop.

As for your hand studies, I'm not convinced a 50-hand sample is adequate at all for what you are trying to accomplish. May I ask, how big is your full PT sample ?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:36 PM

its about 10K atm. I've read 100 hands for each starting hand as a minimum, but thought id ask anyway incase something really stood out.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its about 10K atm. I've read 100 hands for each starting hand as a minimum, but thought id ask anyway incase something really stood out.

[/ QUOTE ]

100 hands is definately not enough... I'm not even sure how accurate 1000 would be.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:00 PM

If you're making and losing the most money with top pair, I believe you should indeed try controlling the pot and trying to keep it smaller. Top pair isn't a big pot hand; after your initial flop bet, try to play a little more cautiously against stronger opponents. Of course if your opponent is the type to lose bigger pots with just a pair, then be more apt to keep valuebetting.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 PM

You need AT LEAST 500 hands to START to see how you are doing and maybe 1000 is way short!

Playing overcards is one of the hardest things to learn and it just takes doing it thusands of times to start to get a handel on it.

It all depends on the table conditions, how many players are in the hand, what they think of you and what you think of them. There is no magic formula.

Remember - if you raise and fold WITHOUT a C-Bet, people remember it and the C-BET NEXT time is more effective.

you need to look at the flop and figure out IF the people in your hand would have any of those cards. Then look to see if the people in the hand would have a BETTER kicker then YOU.

Do you want to c-bet, hit top pair and lose?

Overcards is where gambling comes into play in poker. I like to control the table but if somebody is going to bet into me and I mess - screw the hand, not worth it. Pick your battles.

[ QUOTE ]
It also looks like these hands win small pots, but lose the big ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well - get away from sites that are PT compatable LOL.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be looking to check the turn with top pair for pot control?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell no - take control of the table as often as you can. Spank those monkees.

As for yor stats - those are HORRABLE stats for those hands - I mean REALLY bad dude!! I'm not cutting YOU down, just the stats. I have to think there is something I'm missing here. I have a LOT of hands and my worst is (-.23)BB/hand (J7s).

50-100 hands is not enough to really know how you are doing so your numbers could be just a lot of bad luck.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol come back when u have 100k MINIMUM, real analysis can begin at 500k