Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Beginner\'s Guide to Self-Analyzing SNG Hands

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks curtains. I agree with you, further up this thread I mention that I need 100+ buyins to feel comfortable playing a given level.

My plan is to move up to $109s when my BR hits $11k. Do you think this is sufficient? When you were learning and moving up the levels, how many buyins did you need to move up?

Is 100+ buyins enough for the $215s, should I ever get there?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's what I did. I also was playing the $11s with a $1.5k bankroll when I came back to poker in July. The $109s are proving a tougher nut to crack than the $55s were however.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:48 PM

Oh and I didn't move up to the $22s or $33s without 100 buyins as well. I just disciplined myself not to having played the $55s on about 30 buyins when I stopped playing poker for like 7 or 8 months. I really sucked back then though (end of 2004), I'm sure some of my posts in the archives are laughably bad.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:12 PM

Thanks Bazuul!
This was very helpful to me.
I'm looking forward to your "how I got there" thread.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't get the poker tracker replayer to do anything while the hand is playing. It's like the whole UI is frozen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens on my system too. In the replayer, you need to uncheck "Auto-play hands" (near the play button in lower left). Problem solved. Unfortunately, now you need to navigate between hands by using the arrows in the upper left, plus you can't choose to only view hands you're involved in, etc.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless they are an extremely good player with very good emotional control...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think OP qualifies.

(says the dude playin the 6.50's with 250 buyins) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2006, 02:23 PM

congrats mr. baz, knew you had it in you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2006, 08:31 PM

Hey Bazuul,

After reading your post, I've started using the Poker Tracker viewer to review my tournies, rather than just reading the text files.

In particular, watching the hands I'm not involved in. I'm amazed at the amount of players who play ace/x from any postion, and then either lead or call to the river with ace high. Any two suited from anywhere seems to be a popular one as well.

It's made me realize how many obvious things I'm missing while multi tabling.

I always found the Poker Tracker replayer to be too slow, but by changing the preferences to look at one specific day, it runs fine.

Great post!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:06 PM

This is very nice post, Bazuul. I'm just wondering if I need pokerstove. It seems PT replayer can calculate win% for you, which seems to be the same as "equity" in pokerstove.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 PM

PT can do that for you post-flop, but as it uses an enumerative approach vs. a monte-carlo one, it will freeze up your system if you have it enabled preflop. Reason being is that it calculates the % for every possible combination of cards to come, which is roughly 50*49*48*47*46 permutations. The monte-carlo approach, on the other hand, just keeps playing random hands with itself and calculating the results. It very highly correlates to the actual answer in a very short period of time. PT doesn't support this.

I use PokerStove for this kind of analysis since not only is it more responsive, it also allows me to play many quick "what-if" scenarios, like how should I play this hand if there wasn't a four-flush on the turn, or what difference would it make if I had 99 instead of 88, etc.

Many ways to skin a cat, just thought I'd share my way. If you have a system that works for you, you should stick with that. My OP was more for people who are new and are willing to do the analysis on their own, but have no idea how to get started. It took me some time before I found this system on my own.