Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 04:40 PM

Default best book on holdem odds?

I thinking of purchasing a book that deals with holdem odds by king yao but have heard some good things about an older book by mike petric(?) as well as some others. Any thoughts??
Old 09-05-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: best book on holdem odds?

Theory Of Poker by 2p2

and

Weighing The Odds by King Yao

If you haven't read TOP already, I suggest picking that up 1st. It will help train your thought process to figure out certain situations on your own, and the sections on pot/effective/implied/reverse implied odds are all good.. Everything in the book is pretty much pure GOLD.

The math in King Yao's book is very simplified, and for someone who isn't naturally mathematical, it helped me to figure out alot of things I previously didn't understand. Alot of the math in these forums used to make me confused and make me wonder where they were getting certain #'s from etc... Weighing the Odds breaks it down and explains how to analyze certain situations using math, and I found that very helpful.. As for odds, Yao bases the book around a method he calls D.I.P.O (Do I have Pot Odds).. To be honest, I've never read that section of the book, because I feel that I already have a pretty good understanding of how odds work, and didn't think it was necessary to learn the new method. It's quite possible that it would be very beneficial to someone who is new to the concept, so I'd be interested to hear someone else's opinion on it.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weighing The Odds by King Yao

As for odds, Yao bases the book around a method he calls D.I.P.O (Do I have Pot Odds)..

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that chapter, I think the DIPO method took a relatively easy concept to understand and complicated it.

Regular method, I estimate I've got 7 discounted outs, I know that's about 6 to 1, the implied odds pot odds are 8-1, I'm continuing with the hand

DIPO method,

I've got 7 outs, estimated pot size not including any additional bets I'll put in is 8 units, number unknown cards is 47, the bet is 1 unit, nouts equal none outs = 40 so:

EV = 8 * 7/47 - 1 * 40/47 = +0.34 units EV

IMO, DIPO is more complicated to do and conceptually more difficult to understand.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, DIPO is more complicated to do and conceptually more difficult to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

And unnecessary to really learn about. I didn't really care for that part of the book.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:40 PM

Matthew Hilger has written a good book on the topic recently, entitled Texas Holdem Odds and Probabilities.