Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 09:16 AM

Default KQo on button with aggro image and utg limper, can I play this better?

Hi Guys, Id like you to look over this hand for me and see if I could have played it any better. The main thing with this hand is the fact that Ive raised the last three hands, with decent cards, and won all three without showdown, twice uncontested, and once post flop with an overpair to the board. Ive been generally aggressive and ive just about doubled my starting stack. I really dont want to raise it up again here with KQo with an utg limper(solid). Im gonna keep it small and see what happens. Villain seems a bit weak loose. I cant decide whether I hate or love the turn, and get a bit confused as to what to do there. Then the river drops in and when its checked to me I just 100% dont know what the right play is.

Sorry but I havent found a converter yet that works with prima, so im doing it by hand...

$10 no limit hold 'em MTT Level 3 big blind is t50, 9 Handed. Starting stack t1500 blinds increase every 10 mins.

UTG (t1750)
Villain (t1910)
MP1 (t?)
MP2 (t?)
MP3 (t?)
CO (t?)
Hero (t2845)
SB (t1180)
BB (t1990)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, UTG+1 calls t50, 4 folds, Hero calls t50, 1 fold, BB checks.

Flop: (t225) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Villain checks, Hero bets t150, BB folds, UTG folds, Villain calls t150.

Turn: (t525) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets t350, Villain calls.

River: (t1225) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Villain checks, Hero ?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Re: KQo on button with aggro image and utg limper, can I play this better?

bumpetybumpbump
Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: KQo on button with aggro image and utg limper, can I play this better?

Bet another 400; he'll call you with JQ-JA. If he pushes, I think you can find a fold.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet another 400; he'll call you with JQ-JA. If he pushes, I think you can find a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
There has to be a better line than betting 1/3 pot with a straight and folding to a checkraise.

If you are going to bet this, bet 600 or push, and I am not folding to a raise. You could also check behind though.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 PM

95% of players can't checkraise on the river when they have the nuts or close to it. Bet a good amount here as you will get called by any jack and probably any ten.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:50 PM

I check here, the only call you are getting beats you. Ace King, diamonds, JT, etc. The only call you may get is a Jack with and K, Q, or Ace. Not worth the check-raise. Besides this, it helps your table image by showing down this hand of only playing premium hands and only betting with nuts, especially with your previous raises and table folds.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:46 PM

I'm easily checking behind here. What is he check calling every street with? The pot is pretty big and we have roughly the 20th nuts. What hand pays us off besides something like AJ? We have showdown value, lets see what he was check/calling with the entire way.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: KQo on button with aggro image and utg limper, can I play this bet

[ QUOTE ]
I'm easily checking behind here. What is he check calling every street with? The pot is pretty big and we have roughly the 20th nuts. What hand pays us off besides something like AJ? We have showdown value, lets see what he was check/calling with the entire way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing a lot of value here. This sure looks like a big PP calling you down afraid to see a J in your hand.

The fact he limped from UTG when the last three rounds have been raised is even a bigger give away.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 PM

I haven't read any responses yet. My first thought was maybe he has A,10 with the A of diamonds. He called thinking he would c/r the turn and decided to play it a bit safer when he picked up the draw. Or is A,10 not in his range? I don't think checking the river is correct, but I'm not to sure either. What does everyone think of betting out 200 and calling a raise? If anyone remembers your small bet, the next time you have a made hand on the river, you can put out a bigger bet and hopefully someone pays it off for sure. When he checks river I think you get the green light to bet.
Edit: If he check raises the river AI I fold. I call most all other raises.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There has to be a better line than betting 1/3 pot with a straight and folding to a checkraise.

If you are going to bet this, bet 600 or push, and I am not folding to a raise. You could also check behind though .

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. But...

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're missing a lot of value here. This sure looks like a big PP calling you down afraid to see a J in your hand.

The fact he limped from UTG when the last three rounds have been raised is even a bigger give away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply cant decide whether its better to miss out on value (which I think the action throughout the hand indicates there is) at the benefit of avoiding having to make the decision of whether or not to call off all my stack if he pushes, we've had arguments for both folding and calling in the comments above.

Raindust, A10s is definatly in his range, as is A2s+, he's appeared weak loose, limping lots and check calling, which makes this decision of whether to bet or not that much tougher.

Im surprised no one has questioned my play on the turn, as I was confused as to whether I should have checked here, keeping the pot smaller and making any river decisions easier. I was half expecting a c/raise on the turn, and half expecting a fold. Not expecting a call at all, it threw me and screwed with my head come the straight on the river. Ill post results shortly incase anyone wants to comment further.

Thanks very much for your input guys much appreciated.

sup