Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Top pair, great kicker, what to do

Early rounds of 20 person tournament. Heads up against my sole competition, he is on the button and likes to steal. I am BB. Villian puts out 100 (1500 buy-in, real early) on a 20/40 structure. I call with KQ suited in the BB, we are heads up. Flop comes Q66, rainbow. I check, he bets 200, I raise to 400, he goes all in. What is the best tournament move here, would it be different in a cash game? Thanks

Result- I called and get crushed, villian holds kk.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Top pair, great kicker, what to do

First, don't post results, they'll taint the advice you get.

Second, this seems like a classic way ahead/way behind scenario, and thus your flop c/r is...not good. I mean, you're either drawing to 2-3 outs (if he has AA/KK/AQ) or he's drawing to 2-3 outs (he has something like JJ-77, QJ-Q9). I would probably check-call this flop, then reevaluate on the turn. The check-minraise is pretty bad, especially against an agressive player. Many times, an aggressive player will take a minraise as a license to fire a big 3-bet at you, leaving you in a situation where you may fold when, in fact, you have him drawing to 2 outs.

If he's the type of player that will fire two or three barrels with air (or stuff that's not beating TPGK), I might just go broke here; after all, it's not like you're very deep stacked with less than 40 BBs, and you have TPGK, which, against an aggro button raiser, is well ahead of his range. Against a nit, I might find a laydown if he fires again on the turn.