Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 01:15 AM

Default Letter from Lindsey Graham, SC Senator

Dated August 21, 2006 with a pretty sweet american eagle watermark.

Dear Joe,
Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding Internet poker. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you.

As you are aware, two measures have been introduced in the House of Representatives that are intended to curb illegal Internet gambling. HR4411, the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, and H.R, 4777 the Internet Gambling Prohibition Act, which would put in place a number of enforcement mechanisms. HR 4777 clarifies and reinforces the prohibitions in the Wire Actas they relate to internet gambling, while HR 4411 seeks to cut off the revenue flow from the United States to offshore gambling establishments by enlisting financial institutions in efforts to identify and block payments to internet gambling enterprises. Neither bill has been voted on by the House of Representatives, but should either piece of legislation come before the United States Senate, please know that I will keep your concerns in mind.

Additionally, the Kyl legislation you mentioned was introduced as an amendment to HR 2863, the Science, State, Commerce, and RElated Agencies Appropriations Act, to prevent the use of certain payment instruments, credit cards, and fund transfers for unlawful Internet gambling. The amendment was ruled out of order and was not included in the final version of the bill. To date, stand-alone legislation similar to the bills before the House has not been introduced in the United States Senate. Should that occur, I will be sure to keep your concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I may be of assistance to you or your family.

Sincerely,

Lindsey O. Graham

PS--what does LOG/cg mean under his name???
Old 09-05-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Letter from Lindsey Graham, SC Senator

what is the correct reply to this?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:39 AM

Sounds like the same boilerplate "yeah some intern answered myu email" response that I got from both my senator and representative. The correct response is to realize that Lindsey Graham paid not one iota of attention to your email. Not to say that Senator Graham doesn't value the opinions of his constituents, but having lived in SC before I can tell you that it will likely be very hard to convince any politician to vote down an anti-gambling bill.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS--what does LOG/cg mean under his name???

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the way business letters are typed and that notation is put at the end, and where the first group in caps is the initials of who is writing you, and the second in lowercase is the initials of the secretary who typed the letter. It's mainly an internal thing and doesn't mean anything else.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 AM

I got the same letter a couple of days ago.

South Carolina is the reddest of states and the support for the Republican party is much stronger from the socially conservative contingent than the small government group. I can't really see any of our elected officials standing up for us on this one. Not with all the bible beaters in their districts. There's a reason we got picked by the Christian Exodus movement.

raisins