Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 12:22 AM

Default Live at the Bike subscription - worth it?

I'm only addressing current subscribers and hoping for an honest opinion about that show.

I've downloaded a few episodes and really like it. Just wondering to the subscribers that been with the service for at least a month. How often are you watching it now that you are a subscriber, are all the shows high quality/entertainment/educational?

The shows I've downloaded are probably the best of so I don't know how they are regularly. So far chcked out the Johnny Chan episode, the Greenstein episode, and the so called 'best show ever' episode. Any feedback is welcome!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Live at the Bike subscription - worth it?

I've been a subscriber for about 6 months now...maybe more. I try and watch it live every night however I am generally watching them in the archives the next day as I am busy quite often.

Every show has something interesting about it IMO. There are usually problems at the beginning of the live webcasts with the feed, it is choppy for the first 15 minutes at the most occasionally. Every show isn't highly educational other than the fact that every situation gets discussed ad nauseum by Bart and Dave. I find these two to be quite humorous and enjoyable even when there are boring nights, which there are. I don't know why anybody wouldn't subscribe if they have even a mild interest in poker. It's what? $15/mo? Like buying one new movie every month only this is ~60 hrs/month of live poker play. I would most definitely recommend it.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:41 AM

so DougieG, thanks for the fast feedback, I'm looking for more btw...

Other questions, on the regular nights (non-legends of poker nights), what are the normal limits? Is Kenna a regular at the game? Are guys like corp. Mike always on the show?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:03 AM

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are usually the 5/10 NL uncapped games, although sometimes they do a 300-500 or something else. It's been a long time since I've seen anything less than a 3-5 game, and even that is quite a while ago. Wednesdays are the 20/40 NL games, uncapped obv, and Dave says he has talked to Phil Laak and Phil said he will definitely try to play every Wednesday that he's in the area. Fridays are 10/20NL and they're usually just as much action as Wednesdays.

Kenna isn't a 'regular' he has probly been on...10-15 times? Corporation Mike is on it pretty much every week, along with "That's Alan" and a few other guys are always in the 500 or 1k games.

If you have any other questions go ahead and ask away.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so DougieG, thanks for the fast feedback, I'm looking for more btw...

Other questions, on the regular nights (non-legends of poker nights), what are the normal limits? Is Kenna a regular at the game? Are guys like corp. Mike always on the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pretty big LATB fan and might be able to help you out.

I try to watch the show every night, but only the $10/20 game and higher. If I'm really bored I might watch the $5/10 game or the $2/5 game or whatever crap they throw on, but I much more enjoy watching the higher stakes games.

The shows are educational in their own ways, especially if you're relatively new to NL cash games, they frequently address basic concepts such as betting with a marginal hand that will only be called when behind, to other basic things like thinking "what can I logically beat" when somebody bets into you or raises you, as well as many other things. For a beggining NL player, or even a mediocre one with experience, you will see immediate improvement in your game. But when you watch the show often the things they say tend to get repitive and the show takes more of an entertainment form rather than an educational one, although it still is educational by seeing a bunch of different situations and how people are playing particular hands.

Kenna is not a regular on LATB, he tends to stop by when the circuit makes it's way to the Bike for Legends. He has been on the show however several times, he just isn't a "regular." Guys like Corporation Mike, Alan, Mo, Trish, Ed, etc. are daily customers. Other players like George and Amir and others are regulars but don't play as often as the ones mentioned earlier.

The limits vary from each day. Usually Wednesday is the "High Stakes" game, featuring a $20/40 NL game and sometimes even higher. Friday is usually the standard $10/20 game. Pretty much the $10/20 regulars play the $20/40 game as well, so the lineup is the same pretty much. On the other nights usually it's smaller stake games, usually $2/5 - $5/10 and even lower. Those games also feature a fair amount of "regulars," although I don't watch those shows often so I can't say who is a regular and who isn't.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 AM

imo, yes. but not long term. well worth it for the two months it takes to watch the highlight episodes. also august/legends is awesome. watching those live is definitely worth it. but the rest of the time it's very repetitive. they're actively trying to get new blood into the games and that's good. the limit game this week will feature a lot of 2+2's well known posters.

so in essence, yes, but not for the full year.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:55 AM

I have been a sub for a little over a month or so and I have watched it in the past. I think it is worth it. The hours of entertaining poker you get for the price cant be beat. With Bart and Dave I think the show is just as good as anything on main stream television in fact better. Where can you email a host of a show with a question or joke or comment? With these not only do they read them they talk to you through the show. They support the 2+2 boards and post here. Not ever night is amazing but even on off nights listening to the show is fun. I like to watch live. If you love poker just ask yourself one thing find somthing that cost the same and ask if you can do without that one time a month to see all that poker. I.E. For the price of a large pizza you can watch 60+ hours of poker a month.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the limit game this week will feature a lot of 2+2's well known posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a limit game this week? When? With whom?

Garland
Old 09-04-2006, 02:47 AM

I am a 1+ year subscriber and come down to the Bike every few months or so to play on the show.

Just to sum it up, it's a must watch for anyone who wants to learn about no-limit cash games. Every nuance of the game is discussed and seeing all the hole cards is priceless. The announcers do know what they're talking about, and it's pretty obvious why they are successful at no-limit cash games. In particular Dave is extremely insightful and entertaining/funny as well. Bart is a solid play-by-play guy. They work together extremely well.

I used to watch all the shows: no-limit, limit, small and big limit, but now I only watch the 5-10 unrestricted and higher as this is the level I'm playing at and studying my opponents at this level is extremely important when I go there.

At $15/month, it's a bargain and I would recommend it to any serious player who wants to improve his/her game. It's as solid a tool as any book out there.

Garland
Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 AM

Thanks guys. I think I will def subscribe to check out all the archives, esp. the legends sessions. I'll try it out for 2-3 months, and then I'll re-evaluate then if I will be a full time subscriber.

Btw, side question. I've watched 3 episodes now, and all 3 episodes Corporation Mike is tilting badly. Is he a winning player at these games or a perpetual loser? Either way, he's a very entertaining player