Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Wireless signal to a basement dilemma

Alright, my new space I'm renting is a basement room (yikes) Nice house though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - I need internet, and their cable and setup is on the 2nd floor. Approximately 50 feet from the signal source if a straight line was drawn.

They are willing to let me run a Cat5 out one of the holes in the wall and down the house to my basement window (not a problem at about 50 feet - Cat5 can go to 360 or so without degradation of signal - so......

What is better? Wired or should I try the newer pre N massive range wirelees routers like the Netgear WNR854T or Belkin F5D8230-4 I've heard horror stories about wireless simply not being able to penetrate down to a basement. I have thick plaster ceilings.....

Any recs apprciated.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Wireless signal to a basement dilemma

As an alternative if your dsl provider has it (if it's the phone company) you can get a power line adapter (phone line from jack to adaptor plugged in outlet) and run the signal through the electric lines and back from another adaptor in your basement to your router to the computer with an ethernet cable for each. Of course this would mean not going wireless actually and having to use an ethernet cable with a laptop in any room or with 2 different computers in different rooms.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 AM

Always run a hardwire if you can. You never have to worry about signal strength.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As an alternative if your dsl provider has it (if it's the phone company) you can get a power line adapter (phone line from jack to adaptor plugged in outlet) and run the signal through the electric lines and back from another adaptor in your basement to your router to the computer with an ethernet cable for each. Of course this would mean not going wireless actually and having to use an ethernet cable with a laptop in any room or with 2 different computers in different rooms.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cable modem and I've heard those power line adapter things only work if you are on the same circuit breaker and they are susceptable to noise.

Think I'm going wired.