Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Tough set, Party 10/20, 200bb\'s

Hey,

I played this hand yesterday and find it quite interesting. I'm running pretty bad/playing pretty bad at the moment, so I would appreciate some comments!

Villain is gattcha. He is a good Norwegian NL player who consistently beats the higher games on a lot of sites. He is a good hand reader. The past half an hour or so we have been going a bit at each other. During the past half hour, he has shown that he is capable of calling small bets oop with marginal holdings on the flop and bluffing/valuebetting AI (although for "only" 100 bbs) with marginal holdings as well. Both of which he showed me after I folded.

I have him as 28/15 in my Pokertracker.

During this session I've played 23/19 myself.

My flop call vs. BooostedJ doesn't mean anything of any particular strenght, it could be a whole variaty of holdings and I think gattcha is on to that.

Seat 1: ex_Noose ( $1930 )
Seat 4: Dragons1974 ( $2373 )
Seat 5: gattcha ( $3857.33 )
Seat 6: boddylisting ( $3262.50 )
Seat 3: RoyaleWithCheese ( $4033.03 )
Seat 2: BooostedJ ( $2071.75 )

Dragons1974 posts small blind [$10].
gattcha posts big blind [$20].

Dealt to RoyaleWithCheese 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

This first two fold, Boosted raises to $70, which I and gattcha call. Raising is of course an option but I prefer to just call here the majority of the times.

Flop 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], pot $220

gattcha checks, BooostedJ bets $135, which we both call. I often raise here but decide just to flat call for the reasons stated above.

Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], pot $625

They both check, I bet $450, which gattcha raises to $1111. Booosted folds and I call. Is calling ok? How many people raise? Note that his raise isn't that big, but he may be manipulating the pot size as it leaves him with a pot size bet left. I don't know if he knows I know this.

River K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], pot $2847

gattcha pushes and I call the $2541.33.

Peter
Old 08-17-2006, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Tough set, Party 10/20, 200bb\'s

The first question that comes to mind is whether gattcha would call a flop bet with 76 after you initially called boostedJ's bet. If he would, then you can add 76 to his range (that you beat). As far as the action goes, it looks like the only reasonable hand that he could have that beats you is 77. You are ahead of 88/99/7x/56 (bluff) and 22.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 AM

Flopcall is a slowplay to induce later action right?

Well, you got it.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:55 AM

I don't think he regards me as an idiot who makes idiotic loose calls for 200bbs with som random botton two pair/overpar to the turn-holding. I mean, as far as the action has gone, I could have a straight here.

But yes, I did slowplay to induce action.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:14 AM

The first question that comes to my mind is that why are we playing that table? Seen some fishier tables around lately.

I think it's a tough call to makeas you're so deep. If you were only 100bb's deep, you'd be forced to go broke.

Even if you aren't being really aggressive throughout the hand, I think he has to put you on a big hand with you calling the turn raise and thinks you will call the shove on the river. In my mind the only hand you're beating here is set of deuces.

I think you're beat. And I also think that he's got 53s. But I've got a dumb fetish of laying down sets lately, so maybe next month I would call the river. Now I would lay it down.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey,

I played this hand yesterday and find it quite interesting. I'm running pretty bad/playing pretty bad at the moment, so I would appreciate some comments!

Villain is gattcha. He is a good Norwegian NL player who consistently beats the higher games on a lot of sites. He is a good hand reader. The past half an hour or so we have been going a bit at each other. During the past half hour, he has shown that he is capable of calling small bets oop with marginal holdings on the flop and bluffing/valuebetting AI (although for "only" 100 bbs) with marginal holdings as well. Both of which he showed me after I folded.

I have him as 28/15 in my Pokertracker.

During this session I've played 23/19 myself.

My flop call vs. BooostedJ doesn't mean anything of any particular strenght, it could be a whole variaty of holdings and I think gattcha is on to that.

Seat 1: ex_Noose ( $1930 )
Seat 4: Dragons1974 ( $2373 )
Seat 5: gattcha ( $3857.33 )
Seat 6: boddylisting ( $3262.50 )
Seat 3: RoyaleWithCheese ( $4033.03 )
Seat 2: BooostedJ ( $2071.75 )

Dragons1974 posts small blind [$10].
gattcha posts big blind [$20].

Dealt to RoyaleWithCheese 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

This first two fold, Boosted raises to $70, which I and gattcha call. Raising is of course an option but I prefer to just call here the majority of the times.

Flop 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], pot $220

gattcha checks, BooostedJ bets $135, which we both call. I often raise here but decide just to flat call for the reasons stated above.

Turn 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], pot $625

They both check, I bet $450, which gattcha raises to $1111. Booosted folds and I call. Is calling ok? How many people raise? Note that his raise isn't that big, but he may be manipulating the pot size as it leaves him with a pot size bet left. I don't know if he knows I know this.

River K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], pot $2847

gattcha pushes and I call the $2541.33.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise and put it all in on the turn, or fold if you have a history of successful reads with them. I would put it in on the turn.

Huck
Old 08-18-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe he is making a feeler bet with 75. 75 diamonds even. He might be feeling to see if a bluff might work if he misses his straight or flush.

I always love to call, so this is my excuse.

Add that to his hand range and you have to call.

He can also fold with this hand with the raise to 1111 if you shove the turn, so he isn't committing himself which probably makes it more likely.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Forgot about this hand but thanks for the replies!

I think that the hand can be boiled down to the fact that I don't think he thinks I will call with any two pair holding on the river. Very rarely do people try to get people to fold sets. Furthermore, I could - for all he knows - already have the straight. And if he has a busted draw, it would be very optimistic of him to put me on one aswell. So I should prob. have folded to his nut straight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Peter