Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: To lend or not to lend?
Yes, lend. 36 22.22%
Depends on circumstances (if so, what factors?) 75 46.30%
No, don't lend. 32 19.75%
I just want to see the results. 19 11.73%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2006, 06:59 AM

Default Re: MMA fighter vs. kung fu fighter

[ QUOTE ]

I'm very confident that there are very few if any MMA fighters that Bruce Lee wouldn't have been able to murder at will.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that some people will read this and think "Of course Bruce would dominate. I saw enter the dragon! He rules!" This is silly. A lot of martial artists are very good at working within their comfort zone, or using very devastating moves to overwhelm a weaker opponent, however, when you take them outside of their comfort zone, and put them up against a skilled fighter that is twice their weight, they are in trouble.

Bruce's footwork is so damn fast and precise though, that I think he would do a good job at controlling a lot of situations that other martial artists would get trapped by. So I don't totally disagree with you. I'm just not as confident as you are.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:02 AM

I think if Tommy Carruthers wasn't over fifty years old, that he could compete very effectively against some of the UFC guys in his weight class. Historyically, Tommy doesn't spar with people. One time, this dude really pressures him hard into sparring, and Tommy hurt him. In his video he says "I don't teach my students to spar". I don't know his reasoning behind this.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jet Li's newest movie "fearless,"

[/ QUOTE ]

is this the one where it said it was his final fighting movie or something? and if so anyone know why? Jet Li is a [censored] badass
Old 09-03-2006, 07:03 AM

Bruce Lee would lose to most Pride heavyweights.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bruce Lee would lose to most Pride heavyweights.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing to keep in mind is that Bruce's top weight was 143 or so, and he was only 5 foot 7 inches tall.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:15 AM

MMA > Kung Fu, but Bruce Lee would probably beat most MMA fighters today in a real fight (not sure about the heavyweights).

It's been mentioned several times already but Bruce Lee was a bad example as a "kung fu fighter" since his style in a real fight would'nt be close to just kung fu.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:21 AM

In a "fight with rules" MMA hands down.

In a "fight without rules" then either could win..depends on how "nasty" the non-MMA fighter truely is. That eye gouging etc. shiat is game over type stuff.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 AM

An MMA fighter would take this easily. The reason you don't see a Kung Fu fighter in any MMA arena is because Kung Fu doesn't work in a real fight situation. Bruce Lee himself said something to the affect that someone trained in six months of boxing could beat a black belt in kung fu. Also, Lee is considered by many to be the founding father of MMA.

Here is a fight between a kung fu fighter with 15 years of experience against a young Royce Gracie (whose family developed Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) trained in BJJ.
Royce Gracie v. Kung Fu Expert
Old 09-03-2006, 07:57 AM

There were plenty of Kung Fu, Karate, and other tupe of traditional martial artists early on in MMA. They got their asses kicked, thats why you dont see them anymore.
In an MMA style match with a ring, rules, etc, an MMA practictioner will beat just about any high level Kung Fu guy. Bruce Lee may be another matter, as he did study some Judo/ Jiu Jitsu. Im pretty certain that the larger Pride fighters such as Fedor and Silva would be able to take Bruce Lee. Whether people in his own weight class could take him is another question. I think that fight could go either way.

By the way, you say it will be a "no holds barred" match. If were allowing things like eye gouging and small joint manipulation, that would work in the favor of Bruce Lee, and any of the nastier arts that teach this sort of thing...
Old 09-03-2006, 08:46 AM

Also, for all you guys that say that Lee would destroy most of the guys in todays MMA world keep in mind that he was 5'7" 130lbs and had rudimentary MMA skills compared to the fighters today. Besides I don't believe there is any big MMA organization with a Bantamweight class (126-135lbs); in the UFC the lowest is Lightweight (146-155) and most of those guys weigh in right at 155. I think Lee, even if he put on enough weight, would easily be stopped by guys in the UFC's welter weight division (e.g. BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, Georges St. Pierre).