Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Default How much credit to give unknown $5/$10 players?

This may be an exercise in futility, but i'm trying to learn how to read unknown $5/$10 and $10/$20 limit players.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) luvrhino is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">luvrhino raises</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, luvrhino calls, SB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">luvrhino raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">luvrhino bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, BB calls, luvrhino calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB folds, luvrhino calls.

Results:
Final pot: 14.5BB
<font color="#ffffff">SB showed 3c 3s</font>
<font color="#ffffff">luvrhino mucks Ad Ks</font>

The SB and BB were new to me. After the Flop, i figured that SB most likely had a flush draw and that the BB had AA, AK, or second pair.

Anyway, after the SB's check raise on the Turn, i was fairly certain that he had a set of 3s or 4s. A set of 9s seemed doubtful, as did two pair (unless he cold called twice with K9, which isn't impossible). You'd think he'd re-raise pre-flop if he had both of the remaining kings. Finally, the diamond flush draw should be irrelevant, given that the K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] was already up there (plus i had the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).

Then the BB cold-called. So, even though i thought i was beat, i called on Turn, ready to call at most one more bet on the River.

There are a couple $5/$10 or $10/$20 players against whom i would lay this down on the Turn...but only a couple. Does that sound too loose? Would you ever fold this on the Turn in a $5/$10 game to this betting?

Finally, any idea what the BB had? He didn't make any complaints about folding AA, but had whined about suckouts at other points. Aside from AA, is there anything else he could have where his line makes sense? Unless he has QQ or JJ and thought we both might have had flush draws?
Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: How much credit to give unknown $5/$10 players?

if the BB had AA he would've three-bet the flop I think, I'm guessing the same as you 10's through Q's.

I'd have a hard time getting away from this one on the turn
Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 AM

Preflop - Cap - maintain control of the hand - especially against an unknown.

Flop - I would just call. Your equity changes a ton on the turn so wait to charge then.

Turn - Hopefully bb bet again and you can pop here and likely safely fold to a sb 3bet. As played I'm calling. SB can easily have another AK or KQ-K10 with a heart.

River - meh. As played I probably call but I think a fold is in order.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:02 AM

I'm impressed that you typed dollar signs for each mention of the limits. It's that extra effort that makes this forum worth reading. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Sweet, I *do* only post to seek your approval

[ QUOTE ]
I'm impressed that you typed dollar signs for each mention of the limits. It's that extra effort that makes this forum worth reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if it was 5/10 in play money, i'd play tighter. Those guys are fantastic, if the do say so themselves.

I'm not familiar with 5¢/10¢ tables, but i can only assume that they play much better than $5/$10, too...