Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 PM

Default QQ top set against 4 flush - PP 2/4

Mostly, I need to know what play you make on the river. However, I'm also curious what you think about the flop check, good because I want action or bad because of the semi-scary board. Also, MP1 is 18/13, MP2 is 15/2, and one of them (I can't remember which) was very aggressive post flop, which is why I checked the flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop:
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

River: (7.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB...
Old 09-02-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: QQ top set against 4 flush - PP 2/4

Bet the flop. You're missing tons of value if you don't. They could get a free crack at a flush draw or runner runner flush draw, they could check it behind because you have most of the board and raised them pf, and most of all...you can't 3 bet if you don't put in the first bet.

One of them being aggressive post-flop is actually a great reason to bet the flop...so you can 3-bet...not the opposite.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:14 AM

I think you need to go ahead and bet this one...Not a huge bet, but theres ALOT of draws out there...Why let them see that next card for free? Make them work for that flush or staright. Odds are they wont hit it, and the pot only gets bigger for you.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 AM

Bet the flop. 3betting preflop and then checking the flop is not usually a good way to get action. People will be suspicious. Also, the time to slowplay is when another card will allow someone the chance to make a good but still second-best hand. Here, there are a TON of turn cards that can easily overtake you.

Lead out the flop, and 3bet if it gets raised behind you. That's how you get action! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd lead the turn regardless of the flop action, and only go into call down mode if raised there on the 3rd flush card.

On this river, the way that you got there, I'd bet and call a raise. (But I'd be calling that raise in a bigger pot, getting better odds, because money went in on the flop! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 09-03-2006, 07:39 AM

I'd check/call the river. Because of the flop check your opponent might not put you on that great of a hand. I don't know if I could check/fold without a really solid read on the player (which it doesn't seem like you have) but I don't like a bet here.

If you bet and are raised you're very likely beat by a J or a spade, what are you going to do there? If you bet, he's only folding hands that you've got beat, nothing better (Maybe a J, but it seems doubtful that he has one, and if he's called with the straight (draw?) he's probably not letting it go). The check at least lets him bluff bet at you occassionally and you can win that money.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 AM

Didnt even realize the turn and river was posted....I think the big mistake was letting them get all the way to the river...But since its there a check/call is probably the best play here...If he bets too big you might have to get out of the way
Old 09-03-2006, 08:41 AM

You have QQ from BB right?

Preflop is good obviously.

As for the flop, I'd definately bet out. If I was your opponent, and saw you check here, I'd proabably put you on exactly what you have here - top set. The vast majority of 2/4 players always continuation bet unless they flop a great hand. There are exceptions of course. But I'd proably put you on a very strong hand.

[ QUOTE ]
one of them (I can't remember which) was very aggressive post flop, which is why I checked the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So were you check-raising or check-calling? I like a check-raise better than the check-call. However, my first choice would be to bet out hoping for a raise, and would then reraise. On this board, while you are probably ahead, one or more of your oppoents are likely to want to draw. I think you should make them pay for it.

Yeah, bet the turn. You got an opponent to fold. That's good with this dangerous board.

I think the river is a bad card for you. I'm a huge advocate for betting into an HU opponent on the river when there is 4 to a flush on the board. However, I'm not sure about this one. Maybe you could get a jack to fold by betting. I prefer a bet-fold to a check-call I suppose. I'm a little unsure about this river. It's put me to the test.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 PM

bet the flop.

i hate this flop check so much I'm not even going to read past it.

retarded.

i mean, anyone who is decent will know you have top set. I would know.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM

bet the flop, bet the turn, bet/fold the river.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:27 PM

Would somebody mind telling me what they think is the correct river play in this hand? Also, the reasoning behind the play?

I find the situation interesting, and am not confident in deciding the correct play.