Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 02:29 PM

Default 65332 vs. xxA8A, limped pot, checked on 4th street

Live 15-30-45 stud/8 8-handed, ante 2, bring in 5. I call in early position with (53)6. 4 players to 4th street. I get a 3 on 4th street. No one bets. On 5th street my board is (53)632 with no possible flushes. Somewhat loose player who limped in late position makes xxA8A,r and bets. There is about 35 in the pot and the bet is 30, with future bets 45. A and 3 are live. There was one 4 out. I don't remember all the cards. Call or fold?
Old 09-02-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: 65332 vs. xxA8A, limped pot, checked on 4th street

Is the pot most likely going to be HU given the other boards? When does it go to 45? on 6th or the river?

I am not sure what the correct play is here, its close but I am leaning towards folding. There is basically nothing in the pot and you need to improve in a spot where you could be in much worse shape than you think.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:55 PM

Fold. You're drawing for virtually nothing.

Was this yesterday? I was sitting behind you at a 10/20 table... tightest table I've ever seen at the Taj. One guy actually whipped out a notebook when he sat down and recorded his buyin. I really wish I could play the split game more however I'm as bad at O8 as those people are at stud8 :-(
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 AM

I would more than likely have bet fourth street. Sure, you're paired, but that's hardly common knowledge.

At this point, I don't think it matters all that much what you do. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario in which you're a favorite, but I'm also having trouble coming up with a scenario in which you're a huge dog.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would more than likely have bet fourth street. Sure, you're paired, but that's hardly common knowledge.

At this point, I don't think it matters all that much what you do. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario in which you're a favorite, but I'm also having trouble coming up with a scenario in which you're a huge dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain limped behind in late position with an ace showing, and didn't bet 4th street, so it seems unlikely he has that much more than is showing. I ran it in the odds calculator and I am slightly behind aces and an 8 high low draw. I am about a 2-1 dog to aces up.

I called, called with a high card on 6th street. The river was another high card, and went check/check. Villain won with aces and 8s.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:00 PM

I figured that the worst-case scenario is when the other guy had Aces and Eights with a Four, and even there you're like a 2:1 dog. Most other scenarios, you're right around even money. And you do have position the rest of the way most of the time.