Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Default stud 8 - question about SH and low vs high

lately when im playing stud 8 and a player raises a 9+ card in late position into my 3 card low i dont know what to do.

am i supposed to call the raise and get it heads up with a low vs a potential high pair? what if i know that they dont necessarily have a pair at all and that they are just stealing with high cards? do i call then? do i need a 3 card low that can make a flush/straight? what about a hand like 468 with 2 spades? can i ever 3bet his steal raise? i feel like folding 3 card lows to a guy stealing with high cards is just bad.

help, tx
Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: stud 8 - question about SH and low vs high

Well a pair (like Qs) is typically a small favorite on 3rd street over three small cards. There is no way I am ever folding though.

Against what is suspect is total air...like JQ9 or something a lot of people will advocate a re-raise but I like to call on 3rd, and then see what I catch on 4th. My reasoning is that I hate re-poping it on 3rd and then catching a brick on 4th. This usually leads to making terrible plays on 4th and committing yourself to a pot where you are going to be playing from behind.

So in both situations I basically want to play a small pot on 3rd and 4th until I pick up something that I feel comfortable playing pots with. Not folding, but playing cautious until I have something worth putting in bets with.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:31 PM

anything with 2 way potential I bomb and fling in money until I can't anymore
Old 09-02-2006, 08:44 PM

bugstud sorta covered this, but to be more clear: You want some way to win for high. This means an ace or some straight or flush potential. So you can still fold (25)7, but (46)8 with a 2 flush is playable and 678 is even better generally (as long as you don't have another low hand involved, if so your hand becomes junk).
Old 09-03-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lately when im playing stud 8 and a player raises a 9+ card in late position into my 3 card low i dont know what to do.

am i supposed to call the raise and get it heads up with a low vs a potential high pair? what if i know that they dont necessarily have a pair at all and that they are just stealing with high cards?

[/ QUOTE ] If you think there's a good possibility that it's a steal without a pair, then raise back if it's down to just the two of you - otherwise call. Your equity is good against any 3 high cards not paired, and your willingness to pound the pot early in a hand like that will protect your bringin in the future.

If you're up against what you think is a pair, then just call. Check/fold if you don't catch favorable on 4th and 5th. Regularly calling on 4th or 5th after bricking in this situation, when you're confident you're up against a pr, is a major leak and should be avoided.