Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 12:18 AM

Default $100 SNG in 3 Hands -- How\'d I play?

I just played a game that lasted three hands. I think its a good hand history to go over because you have all the information I do. Please advise on each hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button calls t10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, Button calls t60.

Flop: (t160) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60.

Turn: (t280) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t280) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t75</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t355

------------------------------------------------------------

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB (t1640)
Hero (t1360)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls t10, BB checks.

Flop: (t40) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t80</font>, Hero calls t40.

Turn: (t200) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t900</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1260</font>, BB calls t360.

Final Pot: t2720

-----------------------------------------------------------

Button (t320)
Hero (t2780)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
SB pushes, I call.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyone play these hands differently? I'm looking for as much input as possible.

Thanks,
Nichomacheo
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 AM

Default Re: $100 SNG in 3 Hands -- How\'d I play?

I normally play 21's, so my advice might be tainted, but:

As played, I seriously consider calling Hand#1 and my gut inclination is to fold Hand#3. Hand#2 looks good.

Reasons for calling Hand#1:
Information- this is the first hand of the tournament, and it would give you some insight into his PF calling range, thought process, etc..
Odds: You're getting 4.5:1, and villain took an out of the ordinary line. I'd say there's a solid 15% chance he's bluffing/testing the waters.
Tilt value: Nothing says "I own you" like an ace high calldown.
Image: Should he see/check your cards, it sets a made image that you can tweak or deviate from as you choose.
Sexiness: When you win, you can email the HH to that hot chick on myspace and maybe she'll unblock you from AIM.

Hand#3: I'm a bit unsure of this. You're probably ahead of his range, but I tend to wait for a better spot. He's deep enough that I don't want to double him right away. Am I wrong to fold this?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 AM

First Hand. I like the preflop raise although I think it is a little to small. I would probably raise it to a hundred. Harrington says that the purpose of the OOP raise is to end the hand right then and there in order to avoid flop and post flop decisions where one is out of position.

I would have bet the flop to continue the initiative that I had set preflop. I would continue to bet the turn and river.

Hand number two was played flawlessly except that I would probably have raised to 3 times the BB.

Hand number three was a good call.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:38 AM

my only critique is hand #2 after the BB reraises you and you push another 360 out there on the river, you might as well raise him all in. take out that pimp hand and keep it strong, end the game there!

did he have the lower straight? or hit 2 pair on the river?

GG Nicho
Old 09-01-2006, 11:20 AM

I c-bet hand 1

He pushed on hand 2 for all his euros, he had no more!

Yah hand 3 you call. Move to BBV! haha, though my record for a 109 is 1 hand (has happened twice)!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He pushed on hand 2 for all his euros, he had no more!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand#3: I'm a bit unsure of this. You're probably ahead of his range, but I tend to wait for a better spot. He's deep enough that I don't want to double him right away. Am I wrong to fold this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pennpal-
I think a call is the best play in hand three, here's why: Ofter huge pots are played and one person is left with a huge stack and the other person's stack is very small compared to the big stack, say 7x as small or less. The guy with the small stack decides to just give up and go all-in with anything, thinking the tournament is hopeless. However, because the blinds are really small, the small stack still has a reasonable M. Like in this tournament the guy had an M of 10. He shouldn't give up, but he does and just goes all-in with any hand.
My point is that K8o is a great hand to call with if the other guy is probably going all-in with anything.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 PM

Men~

I disagree, the first thing I think when I see an opponent raising to 5x is, "YESSSS this will be easy." This may be true in tournement play or ring play. But in a HUSNG with such small blinds (level 1) the goal IS NOT winning the blinds, but rather raising preflop FOR VALUE against an opponent who will call. His 4x raise is appropriate and a 3x would not be horrible either.

~RobP3
Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Men~

I disagree, the first thing I think when I see an opponent raising to 5x is, "YESSSS this will be easy."

[/ QUOTE ]

When the blinds are very small the difference between raising 4x the big blind and 5x the big blind when you are out of position is very small. To automatically assume you are up against a weak opponent because he raised 5x the big blind out of position is very silly.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM

Somebody added 100 chips to the table between hands 2 and 3.