Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: TiVo

KSPD -- if you're DVR does all that, then I don't know what TiVo has to offer that's better than yours (without comparing feature by feature). As I said, my cable-company-supplied DVR (which I use for HD) doesn't do those things.

Also, TiVo was out way before the other DVR'S. I've had mine for years, and since I bought them with lifetime subscriptions, I don't have to pay the monthly fee.

But if I were buying a new one today, and my other choice had all the same features, I would still go with TiVo, but it's not so obviously better.

--Headhunter
Old 09-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Ok I have a much better handle on the issues now. Thanks to everyone who responded and discussed!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM

For all people that want a tivo, but do not own one, you can go to tivo.com and get a free series2 40hr tivo (refurbished unit) by simply signing up for the Tivo service at 12.95 month. You can pay monthly or all at once.

Now if you want a modified Tivo, you can always throw in a 2nd hard drive, but if you don't know how, www.weaknees.com sells modified tivos. You can get one with 250 hour capacity. Of course, the cable tivos have different video quality rates, so a 250 hr on highest video setting is more like 80hrs. Still quite big.

The best tivo on the market right now is the new cable dual tuner model.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:45 PM

dj,

Tivo rules. People here are correct. The concern is not TV going away. In fact, DVRs will definitely be huge - and will likely become a "standard" thing just the way cable and remote controls and stuff are now. However, Tivo has had a lot of stumbles in terms of relationships w/ cable companies and that's their big risk. However, taking a job at a company like Tivo is not much of a risk at all. Worst case is Tivo loses some key relationships and starts slipping, they get acquired, some people keep their jobs at the new company, others have plenty of opportunities in the industry. It's not like he's taking a job at the horse-drawn carriage factory.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:07 PM

TiVo has been a sinking ship for a long time now. Their big weakness is that they don't provide anything that TV-service (cable, sat) can't provide. A DVR is just some harddrives and some software.

TiVo would be in decent shape if they actually innovated. Their stuff was cutting edge several years ago, but they haven't pushed the envelope at all.

Oh yeah, on demand entertainment services has also hurt the DVR market in general.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The few non-tivos I've seen, and the many I've read about, all lack some feature that tivo has.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with improving their dvr's is tivo has patents on a lot of their features.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which features are you speaking of? Obviously I haven't seen these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure which features because I've never used anything besides tivo, but this is what it says on their website.