Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 PM

Default NL HU SNG - Set of 4\'s,Call,Raise,fold?

Whats my play here with a lucky set of 4s on the river after trying to bluff flop, with a solid HU player according to sharkscope.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1510)
BB (t1490)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t160) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, BB calls t120.

Turn: (t400) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t400) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t340</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??</font>
Old 09-01-2006, 12:21 AM

Default Re: NL HU SNG - Set of 4\'s,Call,Raise,fold?

This is never a fold. You took a very weak looking line, with the position c-bet followed by a turn check behind. A thinking player will find this pot stealable, and will bet a variety of holdings. You are far ahead of his range, and so the real question here is: Raise or call?

Generally, I raise this. You have a very well disguised hand, and the only way to get more money out of it is to raise. At first glance this looks like a "worse hands fold better hands call" situation, but a raise would look suspicious enough that a lot of players will call you down light. Also, most good players will make a smaller bet for value on a river if they have a better hand, so the flush/higher set are unlikely holdings.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 AM

Personally, I dont like raising to 80 with small pocket pairs because you get into a lot of trouble on the flop if you dont hit a set and you face action. Given the way you played it, however, it looks like you might have some KdJd type hand or an AxKd type of hand.

Given his huge bet on the river, I would simply min-raise him. You might get some calls there from two pair or a weaker hand. If he puts you all in, I think you have to call.

Nichomacheo
Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 AM

I like your turn check, as you don't get in more chips when you probably are up against at least a pair. As for the river, I raise this all day. Minraise is a good option there, as mentioned
Old 09-01-2006, 01:51 PM

hmm, ok thanks for the great input guys Just wanted to make sure I played this hand correct [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM

how did you play it?
Old 09-01-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how did you play it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up min raising 340&gt; 720, and he pushed allin so I called and he showed some random hand like kd3d for the nut flush, and I just opened up another HU game ~
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM

Hi AntoHeat-

Preflop- There are a lot of different ways to play a small pair on the button with really small blinds. I typically raise 2x to 3x the big blind, but I will mix it up. I think 4x is a little big because you don't want to blast your opponent out of the hand when you have a favorable position.

Flop- I think you have the right idea with a continuation bet, but I don't think it needs to be that big. I think a bet in the t80 chip range will work. He called so you should give him credit for a pretty good hand.

Turn- I like the check. He has shown he doesn't want to fold, so no point in putting chips in as an underdog.

River- Definitely can't fold. So it's between a raise and a call. He bet big here. I think he was maybe slowplaying a pair of aces or aces-up on the flop. Other possibilities are a made flush or a complete bluff. I don't see him making a big bet like this with a mediocre hand.
If you raise you will lose a lot if he does have a flush. However, I think you stand to gain a lot if he some other strong hand that you have beat. So I think a raise is +EV.

How much to raise? Some people mentioned minimum raising. I don't like this play very much. He would be getting a whopping 4:1 odds to call. Obviously if he has a hand like aces-up he will call the raise easy. I would push all-in and give him pot odds of 2:1. If he has a made hand, I think it's a strong one and he will be willing to call the all-in bet.
Another problem with a minimum raise on the river is it allows him to reraise when he does have a flush. Then you will be put to a difficult decision of calling or folding with really good pot odds.
Hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Looks like a simple call. Raising makes sure you get a bigger pot when he has what he represents and when he doesn't you get no value + don't get to see his hand. Only hand you figure to make more from is some kind of two pair hand but those are much rarer than straights or flushes + they can often fold to your raise.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 AM

If you're going to raise this river I think you can safely fold to the threebet against sane opponents.