Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I would . . .
fold 2 16.67%
limp 5 41.67%
raise 3x 4 33.33%
raise some other amount 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: OT: The Throwing vs Hitting Tennis Bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're all-in? I'll call.

Dealer, wait up.

Hey, Ivey, you got a sec? Wait a sec, dealer. I gotta get Ivey over here. I want to research this.

Oh, hey Ivey -- should I call this bet that I already called? Oh, you've played him before, and he basically always has the nuts here? Okay, I fold.

*opponent screams BULLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT*

No, no. It's OK that I'm backing out because I just figured out the guy going all-in was just trying to HUSTLE ME!!!! He had a HUGE ADVANTAGE, that's not fair! I thought he was just retarded, but my research has shown that he often tries to represent a bluff when he has the nuts. Of course there is no shame in backing out now that I know it!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I think this sums it up pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
state your tennis and baseball, fotball, or waterpolo background and we can talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plz god, let HP be a cricket player!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 05:54 PM

tolb,

The context of that question was in response to bz bringing up this scenario: "It would be stealing if Roger Federer dressed up as someone really terrible at tennis, made it seem like you had a chance to win, then pulled off his mask and said "surprise! Thanks for your money!""

Nick did not engage in any deception regarding his qualifications. As for the statements you quoted, it's pretty impossible to believe that Stanford students could be deceived in any way by statements like that. I mean, look at all the people early in the thread who clearly knew Nick had a big advantage. Are you trying to tell me that Stanford students were dumber than all those people? Impossible. They obviously knew exactly what they were getting into when they made the deal.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:56 PM

El D,

get off the stanford students thing. i dont think i made one reference to stanford in this thread.... (although i dont remember everything i posted)
Old 09-01-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tolb,

The context of that question was in response to bz bringing up this scenario: "It would be stealing if Roger Federer dressed up as someone really terrible at tennis, made it seem like you had a chance to win, then pulled off his mask and said "surprise! Thanks for your money!""

Nick did not engage in any deception regarding his qualifications. As for the statements you quoted, it's pretty impossible to believe that Stanford students could be deceived in any way by statements like that. I mean, look at all the people early in the thread who clearly knew Nick had a big advantage. Are you trying to tell me that Stanford students were dumber than all those people? Impossible. They obviously knew exactly what they were getting into when they made the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me that you find it perfectly acceptable that Nick lies about his own ability, but if one of his opponents changes his mind before the details of the bet are ironed out and any action has taken place (that is neither person has put anything at risk) for some reason crosses the imaginary line of non douchbaggery to douchebaggery.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:00 PM

tolb,

#1: Yes, I believe there's a huge difference between Nick lying about his qualifications (which he didn't do - if he did that I would consider him a cheater and liar) and lying about what he feels his opponents chances are against him.

#2: The changing their minds part after agreeing to the bet was weak and shows a lack of gambling honor/integrity. The douchebaggery was the manner in which they chose to back out of the bet.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El D,

get off the stanford students thing. i dont think i made one reference to stanford in this thread.... (although i dont remember everything i posted)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's two thus far, Shooter.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El D,

[/ QUOTE ]

Im to lazy to look for it...but the gist was

"Ken and I...two STANFORD students, are to smart to rush into things without thinking"

omg.... i ignored this thread until now.... i have no clue what's going on...

what about cricket bat vs. tennis racket?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
El D,

[/ QUOTE ]

Im to lazy to look for it...but the gist was

"Ken and I...two STANFORD students, are to smart to rush into things without thinking"

[/ QUOTE ]

i think ken wrote that, not sure tho...