Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 04:47 AM

Default Scared money play

Some details from memory because this was a live game. Background: this was a live $100 buy-in game with $2-$3 blinds. Hero was on a hot streak and had a $600 stack; UTG+2 is a strong, canny player and has had the big stack for a long time.

Stack sizes:
UTG+2: $800
Hero (SB): $600
Everyone else: $100-$150

Blinds are $2-$3

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with T T
UTG calls, 2 calls, 4 folds, Hero raises to $10, 4 calls.

Flop: 2 3 6 ($50, 5 players)
Hero bets $50, 3 folds, UTG + 2 raises to $150. Hero folds.

Normally, pocket tens on a low board is more than enough to call or reraise an opponent who didn't show any strength before the flop. But in this case, is it worth putting a stack of 200 times the big blind at risk on a lousy pair of tens? Hero decides he'll wait for a bigger hand before he butts heads with the big guy.

Is it sensible to turn extremely tight when the stacks get big? Or is the hero playing scared because he can afford to risk $100 but he can't afford $600?

Hero stands up from the table, pockets $500 (now $440), and buys back in for $100.00
Old 09-01-2006, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Scared money play

Mmmm... You allowed to do that? You're essentially going south.

[Edit] If you think you're behind, you should fold either ways and if you're ahead, don't use your big stack as an excuse to fold. It's more important in tournaments to sometimes avoid gambles, but if it's +EV you should go for it. You have to take your stacksize into consideration when making the desicion but fear of losing your stack (or part of your bankroll) shouldn't have any part in your desicion making.

The fact that UTG+2 is raising you after you raised pf does give you a sign though - he could easily have a set here, maybe even a straight. His pattern is VERY consistent with a low PP.

It's possible he has something like 44/55 ofc, but I think set is more likely.

So fold and fold for that reason, not because you're scared for your stack. Scared money = dead money.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 AM

It is extremely important to note the size of your stack when making a decision like this. This is horrible advice (sorry to say).

It is correct to say that the size of your bankroll shouldn't contribute to your actions. It is completely correct to pay attention to size of stack. However, I will say that OP seems to be scared for the first reason more than the second.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:11 AM

I meant being scared of losing your stack. Of course stack size should contribute into the action but not in the "OMG OMGOMGOMG I MIGHT LOSE IF I PLAY A POT" kind of manner.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:19 AM

getting up and rebuying is a good idea since the stacks are so deep