Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM

Default Best Places to Rent in the D.C. Area

This thread has kind of been done before but I’ll be moving to the D.C. area in October to start work there. I just graduated this spring so I’m looking for a relatively cheap apartment in a nice area with parking. A place in D.C. will probably be too expensive so something in VA or MD with a short commute is what I'm looking at. Anyone have good suggestions?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Best Places to Rent in the D.C. Area

evelnty, i have a PM from a respected poster who lives in DC. i doubt he will mind, so i will repost it here:

[ QUOTE ]
DC overview

Ok, that is a large overview of the 4 quandrants of the city (NE/NW/SE/SW) - You can click on each one for a more detailed nieghborhood breakdown.

SW doesn't have much housing, it is mostly federal buildings and riverfront stuff (parks, marina, etc) and what their is I wouldn't recommend living in. Little to no nightlife, businesses, etc.

SE drops off in quality rather quickly once you leave the immediate radius of the Capitol Bldg. Although along Pennsylvania Ave corridor between the Capitol and Eastern Market is ok and is pretty decent if you can find the right place. Lots of little shops, restaurants, bars that are low key...just stay north of the 395/295 Interstate. I would definately not be comfortable with anything in SE across the Anacostia River.

NE similarly drops off in quality, but perhaps even quicker. Definately nothing above G St (H is kind of a dividing point) and probably not much farther east than 10th (depending how far north you are).

NW houses the downtown area where the vast majority of office buildings are located, but there are a few areas like Penn Quarter or the Arena District mixed in that are good. Still has an element of any big city downtown area, but nothing bad.

Georgetown is very nice, has tons of restaurants, shops, bars. More expensive and parking/driving can be a bitch.

DuPont Circle area is the trendy region, but it is one of those up and coming areas once you get a few blocks off the main drag so it still has some nasty elements.

Way far NW is like near suburbia, but might be cheaper.

Across the river in Virginia is a mix of stuff. Arlington has some fun spots along Clarendon + Wilson Blvds. The subway runs there, so a lot of apt buildings, restaurants and stuff. Court House area, Clarendon area and Ballston area. Might be easier to have a car though.

Ok - that' my take for now. It's my view, so could be tainted by where I've lived (Capitol Hill area and Arlginton area) and experienced.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
evelnty, i have a PM from a respected poster who lives in DC. i doubt he will mind, so i will repost it here:

[ QUOTE ]
DC overview

DuPont Circle area is the trendy region, but it is one of those up and coming areas once you get a few blocks off the main drag so it still has some nasty elements.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he send you this PM 20 years ago?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
DC overview

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he send you this PM 20 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I'm not sure I'd describe Dupont as "up and coming," when my girlfriend was looking I wandered around there with her and there are definitely some areas relatively close by that look/feel dodgier than others. By and large you'd definitely be fine there but I expect it's also pretty expensive.

EDIT: The Virginia options are probably pretty good, but I have no sense for what the prices are like out there. Silver Spring in MD might be worth considering; it's on the Red Line and I'd be surprised if it weren't quite a bit cheaper than DC.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:07 PM

Silver Spring is definitely one of the cheaper areas around. The metro ride in though will run you about 30-45 mins each way depending on where in the city you are going. I just moved out of Bethesda because rent got to be too much.

I know a lot of people in VA and they say it is a good time, but again somewhat more expensive than MD.

Basically, close to metro and close to city means paying a good deal more.