Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Grad School at UNLV

[ QUOTE ]
They have a decent MBA program considering most of the rest of the school is garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression their hotel management/hospitality programs were among the best in the nation.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 PM

I have absolutely no idea about their graduate program, but I stayed there this summer for ten weeks and took a couple of undergraduate courses. They were very, very easy compared to similar level courses at Penn State, where I'm a full time student. I was dissapointed.

The campus is pretty meh, but I guess that doesn't matter.

Their Hotel/Restaurant program is well respected, but the rest of the school is not highly ranked. According to Princeton Review it compares to ASU. Again, this includes undergrad.

As a side note, there are a TON of hot asian chicks all over campus.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They have a decent MBA program considering most of the rest of the school is garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression their hotel management/hospitality programs were among the best in the nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is. The business programs arent bad either. I dont know about accounting because I went to UNLV for film. If I dont succeed, I cant blame the school, just my own poor motivation.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
considering most of the rest of the school is garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i was looking for

how do you know this? and when you say garbage, do you mean when it stands up again U of Chicago and NYU or do you mean just plain garbage like a random Cal State University at Stanislaus or whatever...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know people who went there (I lived in Vegas for 6 months), plus a relative of mine has worked in college placement for many years.

I say it's garbage because you seem to be looking for a "good" school which carries at least some weight in getting you places in the future. A post graduate degree at UNLV is not going to do much of anything for you in that vein with the exception of the hotel/rest mng school.

With that said, it's just an opinion and I certainly am not an expert of the quality of every program at UNLV. Do your own research of course.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 PM

Asking about "grad school" without specifying a department or a degree is, with the exception of a few major universities that will kick ass across the board, usually pretty worthless. Even narrowing it down to physics, how good your school is depends on what specialty you want to do. If you don't get more specific you're not going to get answers that are worth very much.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
accounting falls under MBA no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there is a seperate Masters for Accounting.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 08-31-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
accounting falls under MBA no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is a one year course whose almost sole purpose is to make sure pass the CPA.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Asking about "grad school" without specifying a department or a degree is, with the exception of a few major universities that will kick ass across the board, usually pretty worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv

i haven't decided on a course of study so i'm looking for the good ones at this school. so far it seems like the only one worth its salt (at least according to OOT) is the hotel program and maybe MBA...

[/ QUOTE ]

again, I don't think grad school is one of those things were you should target a university first, and then program/degree second.

even if you KNEW that you wanted to live/work in Vegas when you were done, there are a ton of better schools to choose than UNLV for all kinds of programs.

but basically, what Gumpzilla thread. this is a weird topic to talk about in these terms.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:31 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky