Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Tourney strategy question

I'll be playing in a NL tourney on Sept. 23 & 24 and would like to get your suggestions on a strategy. It's actually a MTT but plays like a single table-tourney.

Buy-in $100. Starting chips $2,000. Blinds start at $25-$50 and double every 20 minutes for the first hour. After the first hour, they double every 15 minutes. Limit of 30 players. There are 3 qualifying tables, 10 people each. The top 3 players from each table make the final table on the 2nd day of the tourney. Top 5 cash.

I played in the same tourney a couple of months ago, and was doing pretty well about 55 minutes in. 8 people left, I was big stack, but only a couple hundred chips above the next guy. Blinds were $300 I think. I thought I played an important hand well, but maybe not. I held Ad-Qc. Paired the Q on the flop, but there were three diamonds. Paired my ace on the turn. Only guy left was on my right, and was the stack that was slightly smaller than mine. He bet the turn pretty big (approx 2000 of our 5000 chips to start the hand). Based on my nut-flush and full house draws, as well as my made 2 pair, I went all-in. I thought he might have a weak flush, which he would most-likely fold, not wanting to put his tourney on the line. I was right, but he called with 3d-9d. The river was a blank and I had successfully screwed myself down to 300 chips, which went all-in on the next hand 'cuz I was BB.

Anyway, this time around I'm thinking that the first hour should probably be played extremely tight. Playing just the top few hands (AA through A-k, maybe A-Q suited). Many of the players are extremely loose and at least a few should be long gone by the 60 minute period.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Tourney strategy question

[ QUOTE ]

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

This time around, don't try to make anybody fold their flush.