Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 PM

Default villian smooth calls 3rd raise w. A/A

What does everyone think about villians approach to the hand? She just sat down and this was the second hand. Never play her before...

THanks, Todd

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.20 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (2.60 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (2.60 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (4.60 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (6.60 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $13.20 | Rake $0.50

Hero: [Kc 6s Kd 8s 5c Jd 7c]

Seat 5: [5h Ac Ah 4s Ks 7d 5s] (two pair, Aces and Fives)

</font>
Old 08-31-2006, 02:10 AM

Default Re: villian smooth calls 3rd raise w. A/A

He was raising 5th assuming your board didn't show kings up.

It may be results-oriented thinking since the pot ended up HU by 4th, but here's the line I've gone with sometimes smoothcalling w/ split Aces:
-If he reraises, you're dropping out on 5th str. By playing it koy, he got a call out of you on 6th and 7th.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:07 AM

I think her approach is very weak, and over time she'll lose a lot of money at 7stud.

If she had played with you quite a bit, or observed you being a maniac or overly aggressive, then I like the way she played, but it's very unlikely that's the case. Very likely just weak.

With this sort of player, don't be afraid to limp with all kinds of speculative draws, because you'll get to 5th or 6th very cheaply as a general rule, but don't value bet your marginal hands early (not talking about your kings example - that's not marginal - you certainly played it correctly).
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM

By playing it coy, he got a call out of you on 6th and 7th.

--

Honestly, when she bet on 6th, I was pretty sure that she had A/A, but I am calling 6th and 7th if only for pot odds, and the chance that I am misreading her.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM

1.) He could have hit the A on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2.) If you call 6th, you have to call 7th.

3.) I usually pump AA up and ram and jam as much as I can. However, I think it is a good idea, once in a while, to play it coy like this- epsecially because there was onyl one player behind her on 3rd street. She was probably planning to check raise 5th.

However, if she plays it like this all the time and you just need to label her as a person who cold calls with large pairs and deal with her accordingly.