Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM

Default I Hate my Job

Hi All,

I want to get some of my thoughts out there for you intelligent 2+2ers to critique. And I do respect a great amount of posters on here so I look forward to your comments.

The deal is - I hate my job. I hate it so much and I think about how much I hate it everyday. I hate it because I don't care about the work that I am doing. I work for a marketing agency that sells poison to the public. I work with people who would sell their soul for a promotion and I believe would even market Crack-Coccaine if they were asked to. I am an entry level employee, I am disrespected everyday and it effects my after work life. I think about how unhappy I am with my job ALL the time.

I am getting paid 42K Canadian per year before taxes (my girlfriend is a first year teacher with 45K/year). I have been playing poker for a few years but didn't start studying the game and taking it seriously until I placed my Super Bowl winnings on a PokerRoom site (I had played online before but I was a fish). I have built this $200 into about 7K in the past 7 months. I started at .50-1.00 limit hold em and am currently at $3-$6.

I hate my job. It obviously effects my performance as I usually am not willing to go the extra step to impress the boss. I arrive at 9am, leave at 5pm. They will never fire me as you have to be borderline retarded / dangerous to be fired from this place. If I were to stay till 7pm every night I would probably get a promotion within 3 months and add 5k to my annual salary.

This strikes my as a -EV situation. The money I would make with a promotion dwarfs that of poker. So what do I do? - continue to plod along at the 9-5 job and chase my bankroll dream at night? It just makes me so sad to bite the "so called" 9-5 bullet as a cog in this machine.

Even if I do get a promotion I would never be able to stay in this industry for years to come. I need to get out.

I'm dizzy with confusion.

Any advice about any of this would be appreciated.

thank you friends.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Re: I Hate my Job

Wow not sure if you have the right forum here. It is also a question asked my many. I am in the same situation and was contemplating playing for a living. Decided I just was not good enough. Instead I went and found a new job. I start Oct 1st and use poker as hobby and generate an extra $1000-$2000 playing 5/10. You obviously live in Canada and if your lucky enough to live in Alberta you have no problems finding a job.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 AM

why don't you apply for other jobs that you might like?

I wouldn't go pro until you can prove to yourself that you can make enough to live on, over a long period of time.

Also, speak to your gf as she'd be supporting you during the bad months most likely.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I work for a marketing agency that sells poison to the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Seriously find a new job. Being happy with your life can be worth taking a small paycut if you find a job that pays slightly less. But get out.. now, today. Find a new job.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:58 AM

Ya I guess the root of my problem is that I don't have any clue where I would go once I quit. It's not the money that is keeping me around, 42K is not very much at all when living in Toronto. I referenced my girlfriend as even a first year teacher makes more than me, I am more tied to the easy consistent money here.

I will never turn pro with poker, it will always be a supplement to my income.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:07 PM

Start Looking
Old 08-31-2006, 12:41 PM

Because you don't like your job isn't a good reason to start playing poker for a living. I'd start looking for a different job.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:50 PM

did you even read my post? I mentioned nothing about playing poker for a living.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 PM

Well let's take this in a different direction...

What would you do if you could do anything? If the money is not your concern then now is the right time to change career paths. I don't know if further schooling is an option, but that may help get you started elsewhere. The key thing is try to figure out what you want and then worry about what you can do to get there and whether it is feasible.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you even read my post? I mentioned nothing about playing poker for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read what forum your posting in? i know you didn't specifically say it, but just about everyone who posts here with complants about a current job is implying they're thinking of going pro.

if it's not about playing for a living, i'm not sure what advice your seeking. seems obvious you should start looking for a new job.