Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 07:11 AM

Default Hows my line

OK sorry no HH but i need a sanity check, maybe a slap in the face.

Back story: 7+.50 2K Guaranteed on Bodog
My AQ couldn't outrun 1010 and i got hurt, down to 6bb(1200 bb blins 100-200). I started playing hyper aggressive, open pushing or pushing over limpers. I had my AK outrun 1010 and had stolen my way back up to 5k. From 5k i was able to win some pots basically pushing the table around abit.The bubble was long, the payout started at 27. from about 70 players down to 43 players and my stack was now above average with 12,500 chips blinds 200-400 with a $25 ante.

Then this hand comes up.

43 players left. top 27 pay
Blinds 200-400 +25 Ante
Me 2 from the button folds to me. i raise with QQ to 1200. Folds to the SB who takes forever and finally reraises to 3000. BB folds and it's back to me.

Now for the SB i have him as fairly standard. I thought his raise looked like a mid pp or AJ+. I pushed.

I thought he might have gotten sick of my open pushing, limp reraising, stop and goes etc. i had been raising 2+ times per orbit for the last hour or so before slowing down a bit for the last few orbits.

Tell me what you think.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Hows my line

SB's stack?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 AM

You have QQ and position, he has 77+, AJ+.

FLAT CALL.

If A or K flops and he bets - fold.

If board has a Q then DUH, stack him.

If board is J-high or lower - get it all-in on the flop, since he will most likely c-bet and your push will not be an overbet.

Note: If I'm holding AKs in this spot - I push preflop.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:12 AM

sb had the same stack as me. a coupel of chips more actually.

I am thinking about the flat call option and fold to a flop bet with an ace or king on board, but i think thats way too weak.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:28 AM

I mean - I USUALLY do not hate pushing, but with above average stack I may sometimes choose a line with somewhat less variance, especially in position.

If we put him on 88+, AJ+ - on an A-high flop we beat 24 of his hands(88-JJ), we are beat by 48 of his hands(KK+, AJ+) and tied with 1 hand - QQ so it's an easy fold if he bets more than half the pot (Half-pot is about break-even point for us, but we can still fold correctly because sometimes we'll be up against a set of 8's through J's). K-high we're in better shape and I MAY call a half-pot bet with the intention of folding the turn to continued aggression.

Folding your hand when you're pretty sure you're beat is not weak. It's standard.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 AM

i understand but wouldn't a strong opponent play 1010 the same way.

reraise pf cont bet the flop with the ace. if they fire a second bullet on the turn i fold?

I don't think i am deep enough to raise the flop pot would be 6500 deep + cont bet of 2k=8k. I only have 9k left a raise would need to be all in. a call on an ace or king high flop with the stacks mentioned would be hemoraging imo.

Please do continue to reply. Am i off base with my thinking based on the numbers?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand but wouldn't a strong opponent play 1010 the same way.

reraise pf cont bet the flop with the ace. if they fire a second bullet on the turn i fold?

I don't think i am deep enough to raise the flop pot would be 6500 deep + cont bet of 2k=8k. I only have 9k left a raise would need to be all in. a call on an ace or king high flop with the stacks mentioned would be hemoraging imo.

Please do continue to reply. Am i off base with my thinking based on the numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not off-base. A strong opponent MAY play TT thais way, however it would be spewing from HIS side to c-bet A-high into what may be AJ+. Most opponents, however, will just push TT preflop - it's not strong enough to try and get action or give the original raiser (you) the option to see the flop and hope that none of the 4 overs flop.

That's why I originally said that I probably just fold to any bet on A or K high flop.