Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 08:22 AM

Default 82s in the SB, check-raising the turn

B&M 10/20 10-handed, very soft game.

EP3 is laggy, CO is loose/passivish but has a reasonable idea of where he's at in a hand.

Hero is dealt 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB

PREFLOP: 1 fold, EP2 calls, EP3 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, 1 fold, CO calls, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

FLOP: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7 players, 7 SBs)
Hero checks, BB checks, EP2 checks, EP3 bets, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Heros calls, BB calls, EP2 folds.

TURN: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 players, 13 SBs)
Hero checks, checked to CO who bets, Hero check-raises...

I was planning to check-raise the entire field on the turn after EP3 had bet and win a huge pot - bit cheeky I guess. As it turned out I made everyone face a double bet. Or should I have just bet out? I can also see reasonable arguments for a fold both preflop and on the flop. Comments appreciated.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: 82s in the SB, check-raising the turn

You probably have the best hand on the turn, but it's easy to draw out on your two pair, and you should welcome the opportunity to checkraise a late position bettor.

You should focus on protecting your vulnerable hand, not trapping your opponents for more bets.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 AM

I think you played the hand fine postflop. You had odds to call the flop and you have to think it is unlikely any other player holds a deuce. It is also unlikely the turn checks through, so going for the check-raise seems fine.

Preflop I would have folded and used the $5 to buy a drink. You are getting 13:1 on your call though...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:40 AM

i prefer minimizing the field given the pot size and the vulnerabilty of your hand. i would RATHER face the field with 2 cold in this spot. protection, baby, protection.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM

Two small pair here in a large pot is pretty weak, considering that there are so many cards that make better two pairs, fill straights, or whatever. Focus on putting pressure on and trying to get some folds (you want pretty much everything with any chance to beat you to fold).

I think your plan of check-raising was the correct line, I just worry you're thinking about it the wrong way. Since the likely bettors are in latish position, check-raising probably gives you the best chance to protect, so it's correct. It's probably not correct to think about check-raising to trap everyone for multiple bets and drag a monster pot. (This is not a certain outcome, again, because the betting is as likely to come on your right as your left).

Small two pair in this type of pot is only slightly more robust than top pair. You probably wouldn't be thinking in terms of "trapping" tons of players with only top pair. So you shouldn't really here. Do whatever is necessary to increase your chances of winning the pot, because that will yield the highest overall expectation (though the pots you win when you win them might be a bit smaller).
Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 PM

Preflop, I complete all the time with any two suited. In a multiway pot, its an easy play. Who knows, I might make two pair [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Flop. You got the odds to call for your percieved 5 outer. You probably could call for a three outer here, and that is probably about the actual number of outs that you have.

Turn. You want to get gutshots, and people drawing to two better pair out of this pot to give yourself the best chance of winning the hand. I like the checkraise to face the field with two bets.