Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Results

Thank you all for your replys. Playing a draw OOP is hard and I try to improve that part of my game atm. That gets me into weird hands like this sometimes.

I agree the turn lead is a little weak. I tried to make it big enough for him not to come in over the top, and at the same time disguising my FD a little.

As it turned out, villain called me with AA and then cursed me for the next 30min...:-) I don't think he played it well either, he should have put more pressure on me at the turn....and fold to my allin river bet. No?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Results

With the flush and the straight draw out there, he had to realize that he only had 1 pair and let his bullets go.

-Ernie S. Irwin
Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for your replys. Playing a draw OOP is hard and I try to improve that part of my game atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just improve it by not doing it...

Seriously, you'll get plenty of good drawing hands in position, why not simply wait for them?

As played, nh, although I agree about betting more on the flop and turn. No idea what villain was thinking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for your replys. Playing a draw OOP is hard and I try to improve that part of my game atm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, you'll get plenty of good drawing hands in position, why not simply wait for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

because you'll be leaving money on the table
Old 01-25-2006, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you'll be leaving money on the table

[/ QUOTE ]

He might be. Then again he might be saving money he would have lost. I agree that various factors come in to this (as pointed out by you and others upthread) and your postflop edge may be enough to show a profit on this type of hand.
However, I doubt it's a big mistake, if it is a mistake, just to always fold these hands to a raise. Several writers are very strong on not building drawing hands OOP in NL - eg Reuben & Ciaffone.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:05 AM

Default Re: OMG I played this one bad. 25NL

[ QUOTE ]
don't play SC from the SB - fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its pretty good advice, avoiding drawing hands oop. Definatly a good idea if your learning.

After buying tracker software, I found that the small blind is my only losing position. And I was giving away half of what I was earning on the button. I tightend right up, no more throwing in half a bet with 75s because its cheap, and got it close to break even.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:27 AM

Maybe the problem isn't that you're playing 75s for half a blind, the problem is you're playing it badly.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 AM

In this particular hand I went with my read (villain overpair), and that makes the turn and river play OK, I think.

I feel worse about my flop call than my preflop call, though. I guess the right play would have been betting flop harder/fold if raised.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 AM

I think that in this situation you should have laid down your SC pre-flop. You have a solid player putting in a big raise with position. It's unlikely that you will flop anything that will allow you to continue past the flop so your call is just giving your opponent more money.

In the SB I like to use suited connectors to change up my play. I will alternate between raises, calls, and folds almost evenly if no one else has been aggressive. I don't like to play them against aggression because it's more unlikely that I can steal a big pot with a bluff.